Cochin Chick Question ??? UPDATE *something's just not right

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luna_Chick66, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Ok, so I have my very first 8 chicks and all seems well and fine (I think because I've never really done this before) but I have a question.

I have 4 different breeds (2 each) of:
    - Cochins
    - Buff Orpingtons
    - Silkies
    - Brahmas

Everybody is acting just like they should, however, my one cochin girl seems very laid back. She walks fine, eats, drinks, etc. She likes to sleep and just hang out in one spot more so than any of the others.

My question is is it normal for the personality of one bird in a flock to be like this? Is it the breed? Or should I concern myself with something being wrong with her? She is my favorite because she is so mellow and she's so pretty, too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

They can be that way, but keep an eye on her just in case. One Red Star I had was like that, and after 5 days, she got very weak, wouldn't eat, and died. I was heartbroken.

My neighbor and I also raised an EE chick with the same laid back behavior, now she is the top in the EE pecking order at the neighbor's house. Go figure. That Easter Egger is always the most gentle when being held.

3. Luna_Chick66

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    thanks for the reply!

I will keep an eye on her. I hope it's just me being overly mothery.

I usually put them outside in thier chicken pen for the day.... should I perhaps keep her inside in the brooder for awhile away from the others?

4. Luna_Chick66

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Upon further inspection I am wondering if it isn't her leg feathering that is coming in that's preventing her from bopping around.... ???? Her leg feathers are much, much longer than the other cochins feathers (I'll post a pic but I am waiting for my camera battery to charge).

Can I trim these feathers?

Anybody? Bueller??

5. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    If you feel she is stepping on her overly long leg feathers, I don't see why you couldn't trim them up a little. If it works and she starts moving around with the others....great.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    My black cochin's leg and foot feathers are long as well but it doesn't stop her from moving or flying around.

I have her in with two silkies and she is by far very laid back and friendly. She always flies up to the top edge of their tractor/run when I open the lid.

I had a RIR that slept a lot directly under the heat lamp a lot from age 2-4 wks. Very slow to grow and not very active. I thought for sure I was going to find her dead one day. But then suddenly, she got active with the other nine standard chicks and by 6 wks old, she was bigger than the other RIR.

Today, at 29 wks old, I can't really tell the two apart.

Good luck with your little one. I wouldn't separate her from her little flock. I think it would stress her. They like to be with their group.

7. Luna_Chick66

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the replies.

I did keep her in with me today and she didn't seem stressed at all.

I did trim her feathers a bit, but still no change. I think something may be wrong. She's not really walking anywhere and sometimes she'll lay on her side and stretch out her legs (it kinda freaks me out to see her like that). I've picked her up and moved her legs and she shows no sign of pain and doesn't fight it really, so I don't think anything is broken.

*sigh*

I hope she's ok and pulls thru this.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by