Cochin chick question?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilkieCRZYness, Apr 3, 2009.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I have a black rooster, and two females, one is black and one is white. The black hen went broody and hatched a baby and it is yellow, now she was laying on several eggs as i have other hens in the house to, but it has feathers on its hocks and feet so im pretty sure it is a cochin. Which hen did this come from? and is it a buff? thanks

Also if anyone can give me the possible colors i can get from this trio i would love to know thanks again:D[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    wish I knew. My little cochins were very color distinctive...the splash was light ble and teh red was light red. Sounds cute. Can you post a picture?

3. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    [​IMG]

hopefully that works hahaha

4. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    my gosh that is big ill try to resize it. this next picture is of daddy, hes in the light and his down feathers make him look like he could be a blue, but i dont think he is, hes normally all black just the sunlight i believe. and the chick hasnt really come out yet so thats the best i can do but its all yellow with a few darker yellow areas on its back and has feathers on its feet thats all i know.

[​IMG]

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    could be anything with white as it'a an epistatic gene..

6. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    so what your saying is it was from my white hen then any color can come from my black roo and white hen? i looked at pics of cochin babies and this chick in my opinion resembles a buff. can i ever get a blue or say a slash from this trio ever? thanks again:D[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    blue possibly, splash no.

8. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    so probably the only colors i will ever get between these three will be, black, white, buff and blue? any others or does that about rap it up. thanks again

9. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    doubt you'll get a buff (clean one that is), you can also get columbian, barred, or mottle if the 2 of them carries the gene.

10. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    hmmm so far every color you have suggested i can get is not a yellow chick, even the white i guess a lighter color than mine as a chick. only thing yellow is a buff. maybe its a buff mix or something. Do you know what yellow cochin chicks turn out to be? also this could be a mix from another hen to that im not even considering. i wonder what a black cochin roo would make with some of my other hens, barred rock, two red stars/comets, thats all that he mates with from my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by