Cochin chick question.

Spur development depends on the breed, individual bird's genetics, and its position in the pecking order. You'll usually see tiny spur nubs on both cockerels and pullets by 8 weeks of age (of course, it is usually only the males that grow larger spurs than just the nubs). The spurs tend to become more prominent at 18 weeks of age and onward, but it does vary. Less dominant males won't usually develop such long, sharp spurs as more dominant birds. "Fancier" breeds like Cochins don't tend to grow spurs as large or early as other breeds, like gamefowl.

Last edited:
Spur development depends on the breed, individual bird's genetics, and its position in the pecking order. You'll usually see tiny spur nubs on both cockerels and pullets by 8 weeks of age (of course, it is usually only the males that grow larger spurs than just the nubs). The spurs tend to become more prominent at 18 weeks of age and onward, but it does vary. Less dominant males won't usually develop such long, sharp spurs as more dominant birds. "Fancier" breeds like Cochins don't tend to grow spurs as large or early as other breeds, like gamefowl.
Last July I bought 4 Cochins that were supposed to be large fowl or standard size but they are little. They are 6 months old and should be nearly fully grown, shouldn't they? I am thinking that even though I asked the man for large fowl and these chicks looked bigger than the ones he was calling bantams, that some how they must be bantams. I was given a 6 month old black Cochin rooster and he is about 3 or 4 times bigger than they are.

I looked at all my silkies feet and all the younger ones, about 6 months old, none of them have spurs but Sam, who will be a year in March has spurs.

The one "bantam" cockerel, a blue splash, has little bumps where the spurs will be, so I know he is a he. The other blue splash Cochin is a hen, I can tell by how different she looks from him. The little red Cochin also has no spur bumps but the other red that came with her, that I thought was a male, he died about 3 weeks ago so I don't even have a body to check for the spurs.

Any idea when the spurs should start appearing? I mean, the one bantam is 6 months and he does have nubs but how early should they start to show? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom