Cochin Chick with Tumors?

FairLeaBantams

Songster
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Evansville, WI
Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a five week old bantam cochin chick that I noticed has several large tumor-like growths on his head and neck. He is acting normal, eating and drinking etc. The tumors are each about the size of a dime and the skin over the lumps is black and hardened. The tumors are movable, like fatty tumors in dogs, and soft except for the hardened skin. Has anybody had anything like this? I looked allover the web and couldn't find anything. I hatched this chick in an incubator and all of his siblings are tumor free. The first pic, shows the black hardened skin on the head tumor. The second one is of the normal side of his face and the third is of the largest tumor on the other side of his face.

I am unfamiliar with the specifics of cutaneous Marek's. It is probably an avenue you should research, though.

I just checked cutaneous Marek's out and am relieved that it doesn't match my guy. His feather follicles are normal and the skin isn't scabby, just hard and black. The black almost looks like bruising. It's so strange. He's still acting totally normal today. My dad is a doctor and he's stopping by today to take a look, so I'll let you know what he thinks. Thanks for responding!

Me, too. That's why I started to look at the things that I didn't know a lot about. I think I might take the chick into a vet to get some scrapings done on those...whatever they are.

Well, these tumors are growing really rapidly, there is a noticeable change every day. He's still zipping around and acting fine, but he does scratch at them a bit. I'm thinking of lancing one tomorrow to see what comes out.

Let us know what you find. I still recommend having them lanced by a vet that can take a look under the scope at what is there.

Back
Top Bottom