Cochin chicks feathering out at different rates???

rnorris1234

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Fort Payne, AL
Hey everyone. I have some little cochin chicks that will be 6 weeks old in about 2-3 days. I have two splash and one black (or very dark blue). They are all feathering out at very different rates. One of the splash is almost completely feathered and is about the size of a softball or grapefruit and very cute. The other spalsh is about half feathered out. However, the blue/black barely has any feathers at all -- some on the wings and some on the legs.
Do the colors feather out differently? Does that have to do with the sex of the chicks? Do chicks just develop at their own rate? or do I need to somehow change the diet of the blue/black or something? They all seem active and healthy and seem to eat pretty well.
Just wondering and hoping for info from people who know way more than I do.
Thanks.

idunno.gif
I think they just feather out at different rates.

Last edited:
My std Cochins always feather out at different rates. Pullets seem to feather out on the backs first. The little roos catch up. They look like they were hatched a couple of weeks later for a while. Hatchery and hatched under the hen goes the same. I do think hen hatched and brooded chicks grow and develop more quickly. Just my 2 pennies worth
idunno.gif
Best Wishes for you and your Cochins. I have had the breed for years and they are some great birds.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom