Cochin chicks...standard ot bantam?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jencleg, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    LOL I forgot to ask what kind of chicks I bought last week! I know that they are barred cochins, but I dont know if they are bantams or not...what is the difference in size when they are baby chicks? My are so very super small but they are also my first chicks this young. At about 1 week old they are about 3 inches tall when standing. Can anyone tell me without seeing a picture?

2. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    judging by the fact that my bantams (diff breed) are smaller than that, and my one standard cochin x is about that size or so i'd have to say they are standard, but you would really need a comparison to tell...

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Ok, when you got them.............what size were they? Larger than a "large egg" or smaller than a large egg? If small then you most likely have bantams.

4. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Good question. I think they would have fit in a regular egg..all squished up in a chicken ball ...but they were already a week old when we got them...

[​IMG] LOL! I will post a picuture on Monday!

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Sounds like batams.........they still look like they can fit into a "large" egg when a week or two old (depending upon your bantams) - but my bantam cochins are tiny.

This picture was taken today. The chicks range in age from almost 5 days old to 9 days old. The fence behind them is a 2 inch by 2 inch square.

[​IMG]

6. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Oh! Mine look smaller than that and they are about the same age...I think mine could easily walk through a 2x4 square. Especially my (what I think) is my little girl chick. I forgot my camera today so I cant post my pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by