Cochin Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nate19, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Cochins

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Polish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other (Comment!)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Nate19

Nate19 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    Recently purchased 8 chicks, 2 of which are Cochins. I had to get 2 of these girls because of their awesome feathered legs and feet.

The breeder I bought from only had Blue Cochin hens available at the time, so I went with those. Now, I've read that the blue color in Cochins (and maybe other chickens?) doesn't "breed true," meaning you can end up with different colored offspring.

I have one very dark colored Cochin who blends in with my Barred Rocks and Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks:

[​IMG][​IMG]

My other Cochin is very light and at a glance blends in with my Buff Orpington chick:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Anyways, my prediction is that the light colored Cochin may actually turn out to be a Splash Cochin and that the dark colored one may turn out to be a Black Cochin.

Anyone have experience with Cochins that knows whether that sounds reasonable? Or may their colors change drastically as they grow?

2. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    Many many years ago I bought several cochin chicks in different colors from a show breeder. I wanted my cochins to look like I pictured them and new that for only a few dollars more I could get top quality and not have crappy looking birds.

What I did not realize back then was that this breeder never mixed colors. It was wonderful. Every spring I would separate trios and put them into different pens. My resulting chicks were always pure colors. I never cross bred colors.

Sold all those cochins when our family got involved in horse shows and dairy goats.

About 10 years ago I decided to get into cochins again and once again sought out show breeders.

I bought some buff's and their offspring were always pure buff.

Now I have white cochin banties and their offspring are always white. I was concerned at first because some of the newly hatched chicks would be yellow with black dots on their heads... but that always faded away.

The fluff on newly hatched chicks always changes colors when the feathers come in.

If your colors are pure, the offspring should grow up to be like the parents.

Good luck with your cochins. They are habit forming and a joy to own.

3. Nate19

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks for the reply, Snaffle. Good info! I was reading a forum post on "Pros and Cons of Cochins" and someone listed the 'con' as "You'll want to own more Cochins."[​IMG]

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Blue cochins, like pretty much all blue chickens, do not breed true because genetically it's impossible for them to do so. It has nothing to do with the colors being "pure". The blue gene is a diluter. One black and one blue, you get blue. Two black, you get black. Two blue, you get splash. If you breed two blue cochins together, you'll get the standard BBS mix of chicks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/punnett-squares

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is very possible that the dark one is a Black, and the light one is a Splash. You don't get all blue when you breed two blue birds together.

6. Nate19

Feb 1, 2015
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the good info, everyone.

I guess I was most confused by the fact that Meyer Hatchery told me blue Cochins do not "breed true" and that I may end up with a black Cochin. Totally cool with me!

From what I'm reading here I guess I may also end up with a splash Cochin. Also totally cool with me!

7. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    I have a blue splash and a black cochins. Yours look identical to mine when they were babies.

I just got a new order of day olds. I don't have a pic of the blacks (or any that may be "full" blue yet, but here is one I believe will be a splash (because she is identical to my "Fluffy" splash).

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of Fluffy when he was younger:

[​IMG]
    1 week, Blue Andalusian (splash) in the front, he's in the back.

[​IMG]
    About 6 weeks.

Fluffy is male. He's about 13lbs now LOL

8. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    This is Hagrid at about a week old. He had a very black back that faded gray then white in the front. He is pure black now.

[​IMG]

I think that even though your "Blue" may color in as black, it still carries the Blue gene, so its offspring will be some Blue AND some Black.

They'll be beautiful no matter what!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    Thanks... that is very interesting.
    I bred and raised the blue cochin banties for 3 years...maybe 4... maybe a few more lol
    never ever had a splash...dont remember ever getting a black out of the hatches... always blues.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Blue x Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue, 25% Splash
    Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    Blue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black

Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
    Splash x Black = 100% Blue

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by