1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

COCHIN color? Critique please...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Total Chaos, May 2, 2011.

1. Total Chaos

Total Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I just got this hen and I'm kind of stumped on her color. Any guesses? She is an adult standard hen and I know nothing about her background. She is not in good feather condition right now from breeding. The pictures do show her true color. What do you think? Also does her quality look good enough to keep? My goal is to have a few standard cochins that are nice enough to show. Critique her..it won't hurt my feelings.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    your hen is very beautiful !!! i would LOVE to have her in my flock for sure. i dont know coloring correctness to be a critic . her face does look more like a Buff Orpington , but i am looking on my cell phone screen..not reg computer screen. i have several of the BO x with cochins..look similar in appearence.

3. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Could be a cast off from a Buff Columbain, or perhaps someone was working on Wheaten and got some black in the hackles? At any rate, she's not a specific color, but a cutie none the less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by