Cochin Color Question. Splash X White Equals?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mississippifarmboy, Apr 28, 2011.

1. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Ok, I've found by searching here and the net about every single color combination known except the one I need to know. So will one of you smart people help me out here please?

My wife has splash cochin bantams. One rooster, five hens and two young pullets (Last fall's babies from the older breeders). I know that splash X splash = 100% splash. My question is what is the result of white X splash and if it would differ from splash X white?

We've had very low fertility with the current stock and we bought them grown, so no idea how old they are or how closely related they might be. I've read that breeding splash to splash would be all splash offspring but would as generations pass get more and more washed out and lighter in color. Terra bought 4 chicks at TSC this spring that had a light blue tinge, she thought they might be splash or blues but turning out to be solid white. We are wanting to add new blood to the stock we have, just wondered what colors we could expect from keeping the splash and whites together.

Thanks.

And yes, I know about the chicken color calculator... I'm just too stupid to use it. [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

Guess that one even stumped the smart people. [​IMG]

I guess this fall I'll know, then I get to be the smart one next year when someone asks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    If your Whites are recessive White as Cochins should be, AND they are based on extended black, then you will have blue chicks when crossed with splash. Clare

4. mississippifarmboy

Thanks so much Claire! [​IMG]

5. cochinman2005

cochinman2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That is what my answer would be as well, so you should see the percentages associated with breeding Black X Splash or Splash X Black, which is 100% Blue, although of varying shades. Don't be surprised to get an odd color or two, since you never can tell what's hiding under the recessive White.

6. mississippifarmboy

Quote:That is what my answer would be as well, so you should see the percentages associated with breeding Black X Splash or Splash X Black, which is 100% Blue, although of varying shades. Don't be surprised to get an odd color or two, since you never can tell what's hiding under the recessive White.

Thanks! We don't show, and our Cochins are just pet hatchery quality birds, nothing fancy. I just was sorta curious as to what might pop up.
    Thanks again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by