Cochin died... was fine at bedtime, listless this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roheryn, Aug 11, 2013.

1. roheryn

roheryn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Northern CA
    My 26 week old cochin just died! She started laying 2 weeks ago, and was very healthy and active. She laid an egg yesterday, so I know she was not egg-bound, and I cleaned out the coop yesterday and everything was fine. We only have three chickens, raised from chicks, and until this morning everything was great. I keep a very clean area, these chickens are pets and my 7yo is very active playing with them. The cochin was the favorite, very friendly, always came running when we went out. We were playing with them last night, and when I put them to bed last night, she came out of the coop to see me. I put her in the coop, locked it up as always and everything was ok. This morning, around 9, I want to let them out, and the cochin was sitting in the bottom of the coop, not bouncing around with the others. I opened the coop, and the others ran out, but not Cochina. She was all fluffed up (more than normal) and not moving. I opened the rest of the coop, and she went outside, but still fluffed and standing still. I picked her up (no egg squat) and she was just listless. I checked her vent, it was clean. I went inside to check the forums and figured it might be coccidiosis[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. So I wanted to do a little investigating, checked for blood (none) checked her crop, which had some food, but was filled with some liquid. I gently squeezed, and smelly fluid came from her beak. I got as much as I could out, and she seemed even more listless. I put her on a towel and asked my 7yo to sit with her while I put together the kennel to quarantine her. Then she sort of listed to the side, my daughter called me over, and she fell over a bit. I picked her up, she spasmed, liquid came from her beak, and one final spasm and she was gone. I can't believe it was so fast. Nothing was wrong last night. What could have happened? [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am going to take her to UC Davis to do a necropsy, but in the meantime, will my two EEs be in danger? I cleaned their waterer again, put in some ACV just in case. Anyone have any idea what could have happened?[/FONT]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sounds like she had either consumed a lot of water, or had sour crop. I'm not sure why sour crop would have come on so suddenly, but, for now, that was most likely one thing that was wrong with her. The necropsy should help figure things out a bit. I'm sorry for your loss! I don't think that your EEs are in any danger right now.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... The fluid in her crop was most likely just part of the dying process.

-Kathy

4. roheryn

Jul 23, 2013
    Northern CA
    Initial report from Davis looks like coccidiosis. More tests are being run, but the gross exam report is: "severe segmental enteritis suggestive of coccidiosis"

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks for the update... What did the report say about her body weight?

-Kathy

6. roheryn

Jul 23, 2013
    Northern CA
    They didn't say, only that she was in good nutritional condition. This was just the prelim report, gross anatomy findings. Apparently most of her intestinal tract was affected severely. I've studied medicine, but I've never seen anything this sudden and acute... I can only imagine how much pain she was in, but at least it was a fast end.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am really sorry that you lost her, but this interests me because of how suddenly she declined and with no outward symptoms like weight loss, funny poops, etc. And her age, too... I can see losing a young chick to coccidiosis quickly, but your hen was well past that age, IMO. Will be interesting to see what comes back in the next two reports, histopathology and cultures/sensitivity tests.

-Kathy

8. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are not treating your other two, I would highly recommend doing so. This is a very contagious parasite and corid, is really not a medication, per say, but a thiamine blocker, so can't do any harm to treat the others, but as you know, can kill and fast. I have been reading tons on this and working with knowledgeable people also. Just got through treating my flock. I can narrow it down to patient zero, patient one, ect...and can see, in retrospect, how they got so sick, so fast. Mine are also in the general age range, but the east coast has had so much rain this summer the is literally tons of flocks coming down with this. Plus chickens are great at hiding sickness!!!!

My first reaction to you postings, was cocci, then read you post confirming it. Cocci might be the only cause of death or a secondary cause, due to something else and you will know when you get the pathology report in. Good for you in having the necropsy done!!! Great animal husbandry there!

Sooo sorry for you loss. If you need dosages for the Corid, just ask. Best of luck [​IMG]

Please keep us updated!!! Thanks

9. roheryn

Jul 23, 2013
    Northern CA
    I read in another post that the dose is 2tsp / gallon and I started them on that this morning. It may not be cocci, but it can't hurt to treat! I was very thankful to the staff at Davis for doing the necropsy so fast, I told them I was worried about the other chickens and since I have so few, they must have bumped me up in the line! I drove her there yesterday morning so that I could get results fast (its only an hour away) instead of overnighting... I'm a new chicken owner, but I am always proactive when it comes to health concerns!

10. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

The dosing is 2 tsp for the liquid and 1/2 to 3/4th tsp per gallon for the powder. I started mine out on 1 tsp and lowered it over the course of the 7 days slowly to 1/2 tsp per gallon. ( I used the powder ) The recommended length of treatment is 5-7 days. I treated for 7 days, going to wait the 2 weeks and reevaluate and probably retreat for another 7 days. I did the 1 tsp per, because my birds where so sick, and did not have one loss!!! Hope this helps! Best of luck and hope that is all they find with the necropsy!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by