1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Dog Attack - Two Months Later - Before and After Pics and a Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aghiowa, Feb 13, 2013.

1. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all! I thought you'd like to see a comparison of our cochin right after a neighborhood Husky attacked her vs. what she looks like now, not quite two months later. We did a LOT of work with her over the few weeks after her injury (flushing, washing, loosening, taping, giving antibiotics, etc) but I think we got good results!

2 Days after the Attack:
    [​IMG]

It's hard to see in this pic, but up on her back, left side, was a gash down to muscle that was about 2.5 inches long. There was a big patch of skin removed from underneath her tail. We were wondering if she'd even survive.

The Gash Now:
    [​IMG]

It was really hard to even find!

Her Tail Now:
    [​IMG]

We still have a way to go, but it's definitely got feathers growing in. You can see a small section of scar tissue on the underside of her tail bump where no feathers will probably grow, and we've dealt with some ingrown feathers, but all in all, not too bad! I need to keep she and the other ladies from pecking at it. I think they're breaking the feathers before they have a chance to grow in fully. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help guys! I couldn't have done as much as I have without you great BYC'ers. :)

Angela

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Hope that husky dosen't come back. You did an amazing job bringing her back to health [​IMG]

Maybe put some blu-kote on, that usually stops pecking.

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Hey, Great work! I second the recommendation for blu kote- it draws a little less attention to the new feathers from the rest of the flock. WAY TO GO![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by