Cochin/D'uccle cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mamabevens, Apr 9, 2009.

1. mamabevens

mamabevens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    I think I may have convinced my DH to let me keep my bantam partridge cochin roo. The only other bantam I have is a mille fleur D'uccle hen. So his only question now is what would their offspring look like? Does anybody have anypictures I can show him? Thanks

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    possibly like these 2... bit round like the cochin, apart from that their phenotypes are almost the same, feathered legs, single comb.... beard will show on the chicks as well.

[​IMG]

3. mamabevens

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    They are really pretty, I hope those pics will seal the deal. I figured they would be cute, but wanted to make sure there wasn't some mutant gene between the two of them I was unaware of. If my little guy stays quite I think it will all be fine. So far the wild birds that live around us are louder than our chickens. I have never had bantams before, my two boys fell in love with them at our local feed store, so it will be an adventure for me. So the little guy will leave our big girls alone right? Thank you

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:I doubt it... [​IMG] bantams are pretty determined little so and so...

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, your standards will probably have fertile eggs--the little guys definitely are capable.

D'uccle type seems stronger than silkie in those crosses, so I expect that the type will be a bit closer to the d'uccle for that cross. Feathered feet are a surety, muffs & beard a probable.

6. mamabevens

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    Oh, well maybe I should get more bantam cochins and build them their own run. Darn! I have been eyeing the feather footed assortment at McMurray.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I just hatched a mille fleur d'uccle x cochin chick a few days ago. It is pure white with a beard, an upright stance, and well feathered toes! Really lively and cute!

8. mamabevens

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    I am still trying to convince my husband to let me keep them. Today he asked me if I had put them on craig's list yet. He likes them too, but is not keen on breaking the law. He doesn't think we are setting a good example for our children if we do. I agree with him on that. Oh dear.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Investigate what is involved in getting a variance. Also check whith nearby neighbors to see if they have concerns that you can address. Those are also lessons for your children.

10. mamabevens

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern California
    Great idea! Don't know why we didn't think of it. My neighbors don't mind and so far he is the quietest roo I have ever been around. Such a sweet heart. Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by