Cochin/D'uccle cross

mamabevens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Northern California
I think I may have convinced my DH to let me keep my bantam partridge cochin roo. The only other bantam I have is a mille fleur D'uccle hen. So his only question now is what would their offspring look like? Does anybody have anypictures I can show him? Thanks

possibly like these 2... bit round like the cochin, apart from that their phenotypes are almost the same, feathered legs, single comb.... beard will show on the chicks as well.

DSCF4976.jpg

They are really pretty, I hope those pics will seal the deal. I figured they would be cute, but wanted to make sure there wasn't some mutant gene between the two of them I was unaware of. If my little guy stays quite I think it will all be fine. So far the wild birds that live around us are louder than our chickens. I have never had bantams before, my two boys fell in love with them at our local feed store, so it will be an adventure for me. So the little guy will leave our big girls alone right? Thank you

Yes, your standards will probably have fertile eggs--the little guys definitely are capable.

D'uccle type seems stronger than silkie in those crosses, so I expect that the type will be a bit closer to the d'uccle for that cross. Feathered feet are a surety, muffs & beard a probable.

I am still trying to convince my husband to let me keep them. Today he asked me if I had put them on craig's list yet. He likes them too, but is not keen on breaking the law. He doesn't think we are setting a good example for our children if we do. I agree with him on that. Oh dear.

Investigate what is involved in getting a variance. Also check whith nearby neighbors to see if they have concerns that you can address. Those are also lessons for your children.

Great idea! Don't know why we didn't think of it. My neighbors don't mind and so far he is the quietest roo I have ever been around. Such a sweet heart. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom