Cochin experts, can you help? Pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hooterville, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought 6 partridge cochins recently. They are now 4 wks old. 4 have feathered in almost completely but 2 still have a ways to go! Is this any indication of their sex?

[​IMG]

The one below is not so feathered in--is he a roo?

[​IMG]

Not such a good pic--they won't hold still!

[​IMG]

And what's with those big feather that look vulturish?
    Thanks!
    Becky

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    cochins are one of the easiest breeds to sex imo. That does look like a roo, but kind of a bad angle. By 6 weeks there should be no doubt of roos and hens.

3. Hooterville

Thanks! just 2 more weeks and I'll know for sure! [​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    O I see what you meannow, thats normal feather growth,, but they will feather in again shortly so everything could change. They should get adult feathers in a few more months and you will be able to tell better.

And yeah that one does kinda look like a roo.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    They look great, those vulture hocks are normal for this age. I actually dont know about partridge color, but look at their wattles and combs. The boys will be much larger (the pullets wont have any wattles at all). I've got a little roo that crows at 3 months, he sounds like a creaky door [​IMG]

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I have 5 little roos that crow/squeak at 8 weeks!

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I think the top one is a pullet and the bottom one a cockerel. My cockerels ALL feather in slower than the pullets. Plus, his comb is already a tad larger and redder than the other chick.

8. Hooterville

Thanks, Gator! I thought I had read somewhere that the roos tended to feather in slower than the ladies.

I call him Boots--and he acts more rooish every day! Standing up to other little roos and strutting around. He's so funny looking with all the feathers he's still missing! [​IMG]

Thanks for the help all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by