Cochin experts give opinion

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stilwellchick, Sep 18, 2007.

1. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I have a 21 week old buff cochin that I have presumed to be a pullet until this week. He/she crowed one time only this week. Never before or since. I very soft crow. He/she also cackled with the hens once when the were getting ready to lay. Of course he/she didn't lay, just did the cackle happy I laid a egg noise with the others. Today no "rooster dance" but jumped on a couple of hens for a second or two, (not enough to do the rooster thing) while they were out in the yard. Do cochin roos just mature really late so that is why no roo behaviors before? Legs look way too long to be a pullet also.

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I'm no expert but I do have cochins. And yes they mature VERY slowly. They are not fully mature until 1 year of age.

3. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    can you post a picture [​IMG]

4. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Yep, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure they do grow slower than others.

5. stilwellchick

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I know hens can crow but I have never seen one try to jump on another? So maybe a roo?

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Quote:not banty cochins! they mature super fast!

7. stilwellchick

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Loaned out digital camera. Will get a pic to post soon. Thanx for your help. I have limited space so if a roo, a beautiful one, will need to go to new home.

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

No rosyposyosy I am referring to the large breed cochin. I didn't see anywhere that said we were referring to bantums.

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have read that they mature later & some never crow !

10. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I have standard cochins. Mine just started laying eggs at 6 months old....and didnt crow until they were 4 months old. I have pictures if interested of some standards as chicks teens and young adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by