Cochin experts...need color help......black, barred, blue, cuckoo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NellaBean, Apr 24, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay, I got 6 cochins from the TSC pullet bin (ha) just a couple days over 4 weeks ago.

3 are obviously black. And large.
    2 are small and.......barred? maybe?
    1 is large like the blacks but lighter than the "barred" chicks.

Of the three "barred".....are they barred or blue? Or blue barred? or ??

Unfortunately, my camera is just my phone so I do not have good pics showing individual color....only in comparison to the blacks.

I'm pretty sure the one in question is a cockerel. I am actually wondering if all the strangely colored ones are males. They are 4.5 weeks old, so I should have a better idea in the next couple weeks, I guess.

What do you think? Color? sex?

[​IMG]

Very top chick and right chick are blacks....middle is the weird one, left is more barred than not.
    [​IMG]

Two bottom are blacks, middle is the one in question.
    [​IMG]

Here he is by himself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here he is showing off for the australorp cockerel.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the smaller barred looking ones between two blacks
    [​IMG]

All 6 chicks were bought as a group. 1 was very weak and while he eventually bounced back, he is much smaller (and slower to feather out, still has fuzzy head). There is another that is small as well, and both the small ones have the same coloring.

So are these barred or blues or blue barred or???

I'm so confused. I will try to get pics outside this weekend (while I clean their shed, it is overdue!)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Oh they are really cute ! Some of them look like they are barred. I only have one barred Cochin. I will try and take some pictures of here tomorrow if I can and post them so you can see her. The chick in the first picture does look like a rooster! But sometimes it's hard to really tell until they're older.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I think they are all black....except for those two in the picture.....they look more cuckoo to me than barred, though?

4. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I did not post pics of one of the little "barred" ones. The two small "barred" ones are very similar in color and size.

I say "barred" only because i don't know what else to call them. Cuckoo would be a better match, judging by internet googling. I guess I will know better in a few weeks! The biggest weirdly colored one (that looks like a roo) is different than the smaller barrred/cuckoo looking ones....so I am curious to see how he turns out. He doesn't really have bars or spots...just different shades on his feathers, and he is lighter over all.

Interestingly enough, the three blacks have darker eyes than the three others. I guess it follows along with the color of the feathers?

5. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Alright, new pics!

So, six cochins.

3 blacks plus 2 speckled ones and 1 weirdly colored sort of speckly sort of not one...

Here is the weird one
    [​IMG]

Here he is....there is a black and a speckled in the back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weird one with 2 of the blacks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the speckled ones.
    [​IMG]

Both of the speckled ones together. They still have some fuzz...they are feathering out way slower and are much smaller than the rest.
    [​IMG]

the slightly blurry one is the weird colored one, then a speckled one, then a black.
    [​IMG]

What color are these? The weird one almost looks blue? The speckled ones.....cuckoo? Blue cuckoo?

I have no idea! I know the three are black! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  6. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Any cochin people with any guesses?

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well The weird one looks blue to me!

8. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Beautiful chicks. In my opinion the "Wierd" one which I would call speckled [​IMG] look like barred Cochins. I will try again today to take pictures of my hen.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The weird one is blue--there may be some sort of pattern going on in the feathers, can;t really tell, but he is predominantly blue. I think you have one barred/cuckoo and one mottled: the one with white only on the tips of its feathers, right side of hte next to last photo. Also, both that one and the barred look to have a blue base, so blue barred and blue mottle.

10. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I bought these assuming I would keep one or two and get rid of the rest.....then they started coming in with different colors.....and the blacks are so nice, but I really wanted a blue....and the speckled ones are the nicest of them all.....

Darn it! Not bad for the last 6 chicks in the 'pullet' bin at TSC one day. I'm still suspicious of them being the last 6 chicks in the store...and all cochins.....just weird. Almost like they were either brought back, held in the back temporarily or?

I can't wait to see how they look in a few weeks!

Thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by