cochin experts, your opinion please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by technodoll, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I posted this in the "what breed or gender is this" section but thought to get more answers here...

I purchased two bantam partridge cochins yesterday, they are supposed to be near 3 months old but they are so tiny, I'm guessing more like 9 to 10 weeks old?

The breeder confirmed two pullets - is this accurate? Can they be sexed at this age?

Thank you!

(the one in question is Mango, on the left... Kiwi, on the right, is all girl!)

[​IMG]

Mango:

[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:I did see the replies there, thank you.

I'm not sure how many cochin experts chimed in though, which is why I asked here - there seems to be a 50/50 opinion on the matter.

I ask because I want to know if I should return Mango to the breeder or not in the next few days. It's a very long car ride.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OMG... THOSE BIRDS ARE SO PRETTY! [​IMG]
    Now i need some... [​IMG]

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I am just starting into bantam cochins, but I do raise LF cochins. I agree with everyone it looks like a pair to me. I have a pair of patridge LF cohins that are 8 weeks they dont look much bigger than yours but Even my grandson calls them Bob and Susan They look alot like yours at this stage.lol

6. chucksohiki

chucksohiki Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Claremont, N.C. U.S.A.
    The one on the left looks like a male and the one on the right looks like female you do have a pair.

7. TheRanch

TheRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Sunny North Florida
    They are both pullets, patterning on partridge is sex linked - google it - go to other poultry sites and look at the difference in the patterns of hens and roos - they look NOTHING alike - a little research on your own will confirm this instead of posting multiple threads [​IMG] !! Good luck with your new babies - they are beautiful!!

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by