cochin feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken head34, Jul 12, 2010.

1. chicken head34

chicken head34 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    Hi! [​IMG] at what age do you switch ur cochins from chick starter to scratch?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Scratch is only a treat.

We go from Chick starter to grower at 5 weeks.

They stay on grower (flock raiser) to week 19-20 and then onto layer feed after that.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Chicks should ideally be kept in chick starter until about 16-21 weeks (when they are due to start laying). Then, they should be feed a good quality layer/breeding ration. Scratch should only be fed in the cooler months and sparingly. The corn and grains take longer for the birds to digest and contain a lot of fats and oils, which can make them overweight and put them as risk for heat stroke, heart attack, and other issues.

4. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:I didnt know that about the scratch, thanks for posting [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I didn't know that about scratch either, I have always fed it to them year round and never had any problems as a treat of course.

6. chicken head34

chicken head34 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    I feed my silver phoenix rooster scratch year around, and did that with my roosters before him. what is the best feed to feed him?[​IMG]

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  8. mcorliss74

mcorliss74 New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    I would like to get my 6 mos old Cochins off chick feed, but find crumbles to be very wasteful.. so what is next ?

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's more to do with the shape. Get them on a pelleted feed or ferment what you have. Some chickens have a terrible time picking up a mash or crumbles.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Pellets would be the next feed. If your wanting to use a layer feed then they usually come in pellet form. Myself use a Turkey/gamebird finisher. That would be considered an all flock feed as any poultry can eat it and any age as long as they are large enough to do so. With my chickens we wait until they are 10ish weeks or more then switch over to the turkey finisher which is pellet form. In doing this any age and gender and if laying or not can be eating the feed. Supplement calicum for the birds laying with oyster shell. Toss a handful on the ground once a week or have separate small dish they can use free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by