Cochin feet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stephanie1992, Dec 12, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

this is my bantam cochins feet. it looks like she has a small toe on each foot. its the outter toe. am i right?? or is this normal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Thats how every chicken is supposed to look, unless they are a breed that has 5 toes.

~Casey

3. stephanie1992

i know that. but if u look at the first pic- outer toe with the feathers on it. it seems small. all my other chickens have longer toes. and its nail is short to and dont curve at all like the rest of the nails. idk y but it just seems weird to me. im not use to having cochin chicks

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Shorter outer toe is related with feathered legs gene. It will be normal for Cochin.

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    They look like normal Cochin feet to me!

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yep, standard Cochin feet as far a I can see.

7. stephanie1992

ok good lol. it seemed weird to me. thank u for letting me know its normal [​IMG]

8. theimis67

theimis67 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    You have a very valid question. Yes, the outer toe is shorter than a good cochin foot. It is common with feather legged breeds to have shorter outer toes or shorter outer toes with no toe nail. The fact that you noticed is very good on your part. The bird may never be deducted any points in a show for it, but it may be a bird that is more prone to producing young with the outer toe missing the toe nail. Some judges may not like it and some may not even notice. I personally like it when the outer toe is not short in respects to the other 2 forward toes. It does show up though. Someone that raises cochins and silkies will understand what you are talking about better. What we see is more obvious to us when it comes to the toe issues.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. But, yes, I see what you see and it would be something I would keep in the back of my mind if I bred that bird.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  9. stephanie1992

Quote:ok thanks for letting me know. when it hatched it had trouble walking and thats when i first saw the toes. i had a standard cochin full grown and her feet were differnt. i knew something was off with this ones feet. i will keep that in mind. i dnt plan to breed her. right now shes just a pet. i do wanna show it someday tho. only if it turns out looking good, have to wait and see till shes fully grown. Thanks again for the information [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by