cochin fether sexing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by georgialee, Jun 21, 2010.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I know that for most chicks the ones that have the tail/back feathers first usually tend to grow up to be pullets and the slow feathering chicks are usually roos. Does this work for cochins?

I have 7 mf chicks - 6 feathered out quickly, 1 slow

9 LF partridge chicks - 7 feathering out slow, 2 fast

lavender chicks - only a few feathering out quickly and the others slowly (though ALL of them are feathering out slowly compared to the others)

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    It didn't work on my Bantam Cochins - I tried on a batch of 8 that I hatched this spring.

Of the 8, I had 6 feather in fast and 2 feather in slow. The three that feathered out the fastest all ended up being cockerels, and one of the slow feathering ones ended up being a pullet - so, in total I ended up with 4 boys and 4 girls.

So, I wouldn't say that feather sexing is very reliable in Cochins. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    That actually makes me feel better, lol! I would like a good mix of pullets and cockerels so I have a a variety to pick from. I would hate to have just one cockerel and be forced to use him for breeding vs. have 2 or 3 (or more) to choose from. Thanks for the info!

4. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    i works for me about 95% of the time [​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have a white pair that have done this but for the most part it isn't always 100%. I don't watch for anything but good feather development and usually don't care if it is a boy or girl but this time with having only 2 whites I have really been able to watch them and the girl is definitely more feathered while the boy is kinda nekked.
    In my other Cochin projects I am not getting it as much but I am crossing colors and bloodlines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by