Cochin / Frizzle Incubation Time????? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shanshan51, Sep 19, 2011.

1. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Hi there,

I ordered some eggs of ebay and they were cochin / silkie = possible frizzle hatching eggs. I ordered these because I WANT broodies next year so I do not have to do so much work. I was told both cochin and silkies make eggcelant moms so I will give it a shot. I did notice the eggs were sooooooooo tiny. I also thought I read on these forums that cochins or "small" eggs hatch faster due to having less room in the shell. is this turn? Do I need to stop my egg rotation earlier?

2. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I have hatched both cochin and silkies and they take 21 days, sometimes I may have one or two hatch a day early but that is it.

3. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    me too 21 days.

4. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Gues I must have read about a diff type then. So next question do the smaller eggs produce smaller chicks? If so can they be kept with chicks that hatch out of other eggs that might be bigger?

5. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Bantam eggs are smaller and bantam chicks are smaller when born, but they can be keep in the same brooder with standard size chickens, they grow at the same growth rate but they will always be smaller due to them being 1/4 the same of a standard chicken. I have bantams and standards and they do fine together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by