Cochin Frizzle? What Color Silkie? Male/Female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KellyGwen, Jun 13, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I have 3 birds up for consideration here...

First is a little 2-weekish-old cochin chick. The breeder does have frizzles in her group and I noticed these little sticky-uppy feathers coming in on this little one... Whaddaya think? Frizzle?

[​IMG]

Next is one of my silkie chicks who is also about 2 weeks old... Is this a splash, a gray or a partridge?

[​IMG]

and last! This little cochin is about 4-5 weeks old... Her/his comb has "pinked up" over the last week... Do you think this is a boy?

[​IMG]

Thanks!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Doesn't look like the frizzles I have seen, but not sure. I went to a lady's house who had 1 week old frizzled cochin bantams, and their feathers were completely flipped out.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    The first one doesn't look like a frizzle to me, the feathers would be sticking out a lot more dramatically.

The second pic is hard to tell with the black background. What color is that fluff? It looks to maybe be a splash to me, as the partridge I believe the fluff is a lot more dark and more chipmunk striped. A grey well, I do not know.

The last one is definetly a roo.

4. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Oh well! I thought that little cochin was a boy... He's been starting chest-bumping kicking fights with everyone! Hopefully the other 2 cochins I have (who are still tiny) turn out to be girls!!!!

I was hoping that little one was a frizzle... but I didn't really think so... I think the bigger one had those same little feathers sticking up when he was little... *sigh*

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    1. cochin looks to be non frizzled

2. silkie either a frizzled silkie or a sizzle

3. boy

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    o forgot #2 looks to be buff

and all 3 are cute cute cute

7. KellyGwen

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Quote:What's the difference between a frizzled silkie and a sizzle? And how to you tell if the feathers are curly if they are so fluffy? He/she should be a pure-bred silkie... her parents were in a separate pen...

I'm pretty new to all these fancy chickens [​IMG] I'm just used to CHICKENS... just plain 'ol egg layers... But I do love these fuzz balls! You should see that roo cochins legs.. They are SO FLUFFY! I call him "Mr Fancy Pants" [​IMG]

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    #2 does not look like a frizzled silkie or a sizzle. It looks to be a pure silkie. It's kinda hard to tell the color b/c of the background.

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Also, that cochin chick looks to be smooth feathered.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    yeah LilPeeps is right she knows a lot more about silkies than I do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by