1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin? Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stevies Mom, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Stevies Mom

Stevies Mom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2015
    This is my little Henny (Henrietta), I am hoping for some help on determining gender. Six weeks old. This is the best shot I could get today. Loves to flutter around, I love watching her waddle run.

[​IMG]

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer Premium Member

Hmm, well that picture is kind of hard to tell by, but I'm kinda thinking its a cockerel because of its comb on the top it looks really suspicious. Hope you can get more view points on this.

3. Stevies Mom

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think the top bird is female at this point.

Six weeks is still early, but the boys (Bantam Cochin) get pretty ridiculous red combs early.

However...upon closer inspection (thus I've edited my post)....on zoom, I see a taller tail (Cochins have more of a dust mop tail) and no bright yellow feet/legs. Plus the feet aren't completely feathered. I think you have a Cochin mix. A better picture with full side profile would help.

You should know in another month as to female/male, if the Bantam Cochin part sets the growth rate.

LofMc

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Lady of MC

6. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Oooh Cochins are my specialty!! Where did she come from?? She looks like a typical hatchery quality Cochin pullet too me. All the Cochins I jave ever hatxhed have acted very rooish from the time they go in the brooder.

7. Stevies Mom

Dec 31, 2015
    I got Henny at the local feed store. I just love this little feathered sweetie pie. My luck lately is that most of the chicks have turned out to be roosters. I want hens!
    Thank you for your time.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by