Cochin Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GlitterKitty, May 29, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    I have two cochin chicks that are three weeks old. I am wondering if you can tell if they are boy or girl at this age?

Here's some pictures jsut in case [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice!

2. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Songster

May 28, 2010
    Three weeks is a bit too early to really tell. Look for signs of a bigger comb and earlier wattle development on the males. You should be able to tell for sure at around 7-8 weeks [the roos should get their pointy saddle feathers by then] but there will be more signs at around 5-6 weeks as well. For now, the darker one looks just a tad more feminine, to me, but both could very well be female yet. If the comb on the lighter one gets any bigger soon I'd say roo, though.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  3. I'm thinking #2 & #3 look pullet. Combs & wattles do tell but also how they feather in. Pullets feather in more uniformly while cockerels tend to be fuzzy in places longer. Like this cockerel has feathers sticking out and alot of chick fuzz on his back [​IMG] while this pullet's whole body is feathered out & she has just a bit of comb [​IMG] Attitude helps you tell gender too, boys do alot of posturing and facing off with one another. While a pullet will play some but back down quickly

4. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    It's early but, they all look like pullets to me. Cuties for sure!

Shari

5. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Songster

Nov 21, 2009
    Awesome! Thanks everyone and actually there are only two cochins I just posted multiple pictures of each [​IMG] And in that last pic that a little Sumatra there.

6. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Songster

May 28, 2010
    [​IMG]

Here's a nice side by side view of a [giant] cochin pullet and cockerel at about 7 weeks old, taken by Velvet Sparrow. And yep, as you can tell, the male even has a bit of fuzz left in the neck at 7 weeks. This particular female is bigger, but that is individual variation. That is a pretty big pullet. Color should be individual variation, too, as both are Gold laced and still feathering out properly.

Last edited: May 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: