Cochin had Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bremat, May 12, 2009.

1. bremat

bremat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    KY
    Yesterday I found that one of my cochin chicks had a pasty butt. So I got a warm wet paper towel and got it cleaned up. I have been checking on it frequently. This afternoon, it had just a little dried poo, so I soaked her bottom in lukewarm water and cleaned her up and put baby oil on her vent area. Is there anything else I should do for her? She is eating and drinking. What are the chances that she will make it? She is 8 days old, if that matters. Thank you!

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    nothing else exactly what you are doing is right.

3. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hoping your chick gets all better!!!! [​IMG]

4. bremat

May 7, 2009
    KY
    Thank you to both of you!

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Unless your adding sugar or something in the water it should clear up soon. My first batch of chicks had pasty butt all the time until i quit the vitamins and minerals. Only gave v&m the first day of my second batch and only had one or two pasty butts out of ten chicks. Good Luck and keep wiping. LOL

6. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    as soon as mine hit two weeks (more or less) they stopped pasting!

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My cochin chicks were the WORST to get pasty. They are just SOOO fuzzy. You can take a small pair of scissors and trim the fuzz directly under the vent to help cut down on the poop build up.

8. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Expecting my Cochin, & Frizzles on Saturday hopefully! I can imagine their little fluffy butts it probably is something you have to especially watch for huh! I just love Cochins!! [​IMG]

9. bremat

May 7, 2009
    KY
    Quote:Expecting my Cochin, & Frizzles on Saturday hopefully! I can imagine their little fluffy butts it probably is something you have to especially watch for huh! I just love Cochins!! [​IMG]

Yes, for sure, watch them very closely because mine died this morning.[​IMG]

10. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin

Yes, for sure, watch them very closely because mine died this morning.[​IMG]

Oh I'm so sorry, poor little baby! [​IMG] I will!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by