1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin hen sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by korlia, Oct 21, 2013.

1. korlia

korlia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Hi guys

I am really quite new to this and have read a lot of the threads on sneezing hens. I would however just like confirmation from you? We recently got 3 cochin hens. I noticed about 2 days ago that the one is sneezing. It doesn't seem to affect the others ones at all.

She'll give two or three sneezes in a row. It doesnt seem to have anything to do with feeding of watering. She sneezes even if she is not eating or drinking? Other than that she seems fine? She is not lethargic, moves around, grazes and eats and drinks. Breathing also sounds normal and I can't see any discharge from the eyes or nose? Should I be concerned or just keep an eye on her?

ANY advice will be highly appreciated

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My chickens sneeze occaisonally, so it may not be anything to worry about. Sneezing is sometimes caused by eating dusty feed, or being in a place with high ammonia and dust. If it gets worse, it could be a mild respiratory disease.

4. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Keep an eye on weight. I had one (bantam cochin) sneezing and I thought she was doing better until one day I picked her up and she was skin and bones. They are so fluffy, just make sure to feel them as well as look.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Thanks for all the answers!! I have a chicken tractor and they have only freeranged a bit, i have only had them for 6 days, so I dont realy think it could be ammonia? I will let them freerange more after the first week? We also had quite a lot of rain yesterday, so there shoudn't be any dust problem, but she still sneezed this morning.

I will definately keep an eye on her! If it is a mild respiratory disease should I treat it with antibiotics? Or how should I go about?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is our first time at keeping chickens!![​IMG]

7. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    I also added a pic of our sneezing lady.

I also think that she is the only one of the three laying eggs, but I'm not sure. She is a little bit older than the other 2, that is the only reason why I am saying that. The guy said that the other 2 are POL, but I have only received one egg a day so far.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If sneezing is the only symptom, I would not treat with antibiotics. She could be sneezing due to something in the environment, or it is a virus. Just watch for other symptoms such as nasal drainage and swelling of the face and eyes. If they are eating, active, and alert there probably isn't anything serious going on.

9. korlia

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    I just got home and had a look at her again. She is still first out of the tractor, eating and seems lively, she is not lethargic or has any disharge and swelling that I can see. Her breathing sounds a bit gurgly now? Should I still hang on with antibiotics and see if she gets better by herself?

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The gurgling is another respiratory diseases sign. Its up to you whether you want to start antibiotics or not. In my experience, some respiratory diseases will resolve themselves if the bird is given supportive care (warmth, good feed, vitamins, etc.), while others will get worse unless treated with an antibiotic. If it were my bird, I would isolate her, put vitamins/electrolytes in her water, put a heat lamp over her (if its less than 70-75 degrees F. where you are), and wait a day or two. If no improvement is seen, and/or she gets worse, I would begin antibiotic treatment.

Two broad-spectrum antibiotics are oxytetracycline (Terramyin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.) and Tylan50 injectable. The oxytetracycline is weaker, but easier to administer because it is in oral form. The Tylan50 is very effective, though you must learn how to inject intramuscularly in order to use it (Tylan also comes in a powdered, water soluble form, but the injectable works faster). The dosage for oxytetracycline varies depending on the product; I do know that the Tetroxy dosage is 1/2 teaspoon/quart of drinking water for 7-14 days.

The Tylan50 injectable dosage is 1cc for large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. I would recommended alternating the side of the breast that you inject into, and using a small gauge needle, as Tylan tends to make the injection area sore. Do not give dairy products or probiotics during treatment with either oxytetracycline and Tylan. Improvement should be seen after 1-3 days. Its possible, though, that the disease is viral, in which case antibiotics will be ineffective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by