Cochin hen's comb? Is something wrong with her?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Funky Feathers, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hi, just recently my Splash Cochin hen's comb flopped over like a leghorn's. Is this normal/OK? Or is it a genetic defect or a sign of illness? I just treated her for mites. Anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Anyone know? [​IMG]

3. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Not really sure why it would do that but the comb and wattles look verry big to be a pullet.My hens and pullets all hav e verry small combs and wattles

4. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I know she is a hen, she has been laying for 3 months straight. But what would cause her comb to flop? [​IMG]

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Its genetic. Absolutly nothing wrong with her just never use her for breeding.

6. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Sometimes cochin combs can get very large when they are in full production, She appears healthy to me, nice and red like birds look when they are in full production. She also looks to have a bleached beak which also tell me she's laying pretty heavy. If your breeding for exhibition birds I would not cross her with a large comb male, that would most likely carry on into the next generation.

Shari

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Thanks Shari, yes, she is laying very heavily. I'm so glad that's what that is. Wow, you are a real Cochin encyclopedia! [​IMG] I don't plan to breed for show birds, just for pets & 4-H. As you can see, my Cochins are not round balls of feathers like yours. Personally I like the pet "type" better. I breed more for color than type on my cochins. Thanks so much for your expertise. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Your welcome Stephanie, the most important part of raising poultry is to have fun, doens't matter if it's for pets or show, just enjoy what you do. Good luck with your cochins:) they are a wonderful breed to raise.

Shari

9. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Hey Shari, My Mille Fleur (project) Cochin hens have been sitting on eggs for me (this is their 2nd batch), call duck eggs this time, so not laying in the last 2 months. They already laid heavily before they went broody. Their combs & faces are kinda pale and dry looking, is that why? B/c they have been setting so long? Or do they need medical attention? I don't have any recent pics to show you. Can you tell me without pics? If not I will get some tomorrow. Thanks Shari!

ETA: They get excellent nutrition, tomorrow is Cantaloupe (treats) day.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  10. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Stephanie, just sent you a PM.

~Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by