Cochin hens - do they even need a layer ration?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pathognomonic, Jan 23, 2015.

1. pathognomonic

pathognomonic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    A friend's 12 year old son is raising a small flock of standard Cochins, 3 hens and 1 rooster, that are kept separate from the main flock of layers. Since Cochins aren't exactly an intense laying breed, should they even get layer pellets? It certainly would be better for the rooster to be on a non-layer ration and I figure it would be just fine, and perhaps even preferable, that the hens not be eating a layer diet either. It doesn't take a whole lot of calcium to lay 2-3 eggs a week!
    Thanks,
    Laura

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    The layer pellets are said to contain the proper ratio in the diet to encourage egg laying. If you don't want eggs, don't feed them layer pellet. Just make sure they have a well balanced diet. I have a cochin, and she eats layer pellets with the rest of the flock. I don't get many eggs from her-because their breed is poor at egg laying, but if I didn't feed layer, I would get none. My roosters are separated from the hens, so sometimes they get layer pellets, other times just scraps, scratch, corn, whatever. My flock also free ranges almost daily. Hope this helps.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Feed a nice grower ration/all-flock type feed (I, personally, use Flock Raiser from Purina) and offer free choice oyster shell for laying birds to take as wanted/needed.

4. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    +2

6. pathognomonic

pathognomonic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    That's what I was thinking. The rooster would be much better off, not having to deal with all the extra calcium and being at risk for gout. When my hens are finished laying for the year I switch them over to a grower ration, which I think is especially good to do because they don't necessarily drink as much as they should during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by