1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Hens,How well does yours lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JessaLynn, Apr 7, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    So I have 9 Cochin chicks coming next week and was wondering how well does yours lay? Every day,other day, twice a week? I LOVE the breed and have right now 1 white Cochin rooster named Duke and he's awesome!! That's why I ordered more but this time I have 2 Buff, 2 Patridge, 5 Blue Cochin hens. They are more pets then production but was just curious so I know kinda what to expect from them.Would like them to be foster mothers hopefully in the future since I heard they are excellent mothers! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I want to hear from all you Cochin fans!!!! Thank you!

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I love my Cochin hen! Her name is Selina. She went broody at about 6 months. Then she didn't start laying until just a week or so ago. So she went about 6 months without laying. However she is a wonderful pet with a great personality. She expects a little treat every time you walk in the coop. If you don't have anything she will fly up on your shoulder or head. She is also very beautiful!

She is the only Cochin I have so I don't now how common this is.

3. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Did she hatch anything for ya by chance? We have made a seperate pen just for our Cochins when they go broody (took up half our barn becuz there such big birds haha!) I can't wait for them to get here!!!

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    No she didn't [​IMG] I am not sure why. She went until about day 15. I didn't have an incubator at the time and was really new to the chicken game. Now I would bring them in and try to finish them in the bator. I am hoping she gives it another try. I love seeing pictures of those babies peeking out from underneath a Mama hen!!!

It sounds like you have a great setup. Good luck!

5. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I have four cochins. They lay at least every other day when not broody! I have my second one to go broody on 3 eggs on day 9 right now. The first time, my broody hatched 3 of 6. So not so bad. Good Luck![​IMG]

6. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Quote:Aww how disappointing.My friend had that happen to her so she put the eggs in a cool whip bowl then put that under a light and hatched them.NO JOKE! 3 babies! It was awesome!

7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Right now they are laying well, I would say about one every other day. They diddnt lay as well in the winter, of course, but they layed steadily with only one week off all winter. I got about two a week from them in December, and they started laying more in January.

I have a broody, too! [​IMG] She has hatched out 5, and has 14 left!! I diddnt put that many in there, the other hens kept sneaking in and laying before I penned her up. So we will be at this for several more days, at least! She is a good mamma, she has even adopted the baby I hatched out alone!

i love them, they are great chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by