cochin hens won't roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prairieblue, Feb 22, 2011.

1. prairieblue

prairieblue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    If anyone has any hints on why my 7 month old cochins refuse to roost or how i can solve this issue, I would really appreciate the advice. I have tried putting them on the roost in the evening, they jump off everytime and go back to the cozy little corner on the floor of the hen house they seem to prefer to sleep in. I've tried also adding roost poles, lowering them, moving them to block the girls from getting to the "favored spot". Nothing works so far. Had other breeds of hens before, and never had this problem. Egg laying time is fast upon me, and I don't want them laying on the floor as well as sleeping there, rather than laying in the nest box. Any hints, please.[​IMG]

2. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Put a roost in their favorite spot then..

I guess they don't like it

Do u have other breeds in with them that are roosting?

3. jdellosso

jdellosso Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    My cochins did the same thing. They started laying late (7-8 mos old) and didn't roost until they started laying. They used the nesting box as a bed and "litter" box. I tried many tricks mentioned on BYC, including putting golf balls in the box and continuously putting them on the roost. What I think is that it all falls into place once they start laying. They just get it. Sure, we had a few eggs laid under the coop, on the grass, in the mud, but I would just pick up the egg, put it in the box, and put the chicken in the box. My suggestion is patience. Have fun! They'll figure it out!

4. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Quote:Are they Giant or Bantam? And what are your roosts made of?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. prairieblue

prairieblue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Thanks for the replys. I don't currently have any other hens, but the 3 cochins - standards btw- and no roosters. Live in town, and that would not go over well. I had a buff orp, an australorp, and a sussex prior to the cochins and all did well with laying, roosting etc. For some reason one day they all just decided to revolt and demand being free range yard hens, and would squawk or bawk thier heads off till i would let them out! They found a new home at a friend's farm, and are all doing well. I got cochins to replace them, cause every thing i read said they were not only friendly, but the quietest, laziest bird out there. Sounded more appropriate for my space - 4x5 coop and 10x10 enclosed run. The roost poles in question are 2 1/4 inch w/ rounded edges. The previous tenants used them just fine. I'm beginning to wonder if the quiet lazy girls i hoped for are just to lazy jump up on them to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by