Cochin ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeni51, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jeni51

jeni51 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Norristown
    ]I have 2 young Cochin pullets(8/9 weeks) 1 had a white head, black body and yellowy beak with red comb. The other had a white throat,dark beak and comb. Now feathers are all black on both of them except for a couple of white wing tips. Are they pure black Cochin or a mishmash?[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    post pics since a description isn't just enough to tell.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Where did you get her from? She does look like a Cochin, she has some light mottling in the breast so I would say she is split mottled, the mottling she has now should molt out and be solid black.

4. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    i would also agree that a small ammt of mottling like that should grow out to black. i had several chicks out of pure black parents look like that for several weeks (or months!) before turning pure black.

5. jeni51

jeni51 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Norristown
    Thanks, both are totally black now except for a couple of wing tips. I bought them at the Sussex County Fairgrounds Show in New Jersey.

6. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    mottled cochin

7. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    Hmm, I don't think it is a mottled cochin as they usually have white chests, and possibly white wing bows, leg feathers +thigh feathers, and faces at this age. Here a picture of one of my mottled pullets around the same age;
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I would say that it's a black cochin, or possibly a blue judging by the picture.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Black or Black X mottled

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep they would have black wing tips even if they were pure black, they're not mottled, young spit mottled ( black X mottled) bird typically have the light mottling like that that eventually molts out. But it could be pure black if its not split.

10. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Are you sure she's a pullet? I see a little red wattle poking out below and that to me is usually a cockerel in the making. The comb looks redder than I would expect on a pullet too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by