Cochin is losing quite a few feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SJchickens, May 4, 2016.

1. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Over the past week, my cochin has been losing a lot of feathers. They just seem to fall right out, and immediately start growing back in. She seems to be acting normal, and there are no visible bald spots. She'll be one year old in about 3 months.

Is it okay that she appears to be going through a soft molt in May? Should I dust her for mites?

She is currently being treated for a light case of scaly leg mites, I'm not sure if that's relevant?

Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Stress can cause an out of season molt, so maybe the leg mites are stressing her.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Even tho they are 'supposed' to molt in the fall at around 18 months old....they don't read the books...hahaha!
    I've had a 9 month old go thru a molt in mid winter...have had a few molt in spring/summer too.

If feathers are just falling out and new ones are growing in, and she is otherwise healthy(eating, drinking, pooping, active as usual) it's probably just a molt and not parasites.....but it never hurts to check for bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by