Cochin killing babies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cgjsmith, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I have two beautiful splash cochins who started setting at the same time. One hatched out 8 beautiful chicks (two are blond no idea where they come from.) The other one killed every single chick that hatched out. Then she went hunting for the other chicks and even killed some guinea chicks. I can't break her from that nest. I am going to have to get rid of her if I can't break her of this. Any ideas? Crystal

2. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Wow. That is weird. Cochins are supposed to be such good moms. Something set her off for some reason I would think.
    I'm so sorry this happened. It's got to be so frustrating and I wish I could help. The only thing I would know to do is isolate her until she calms down and try handling her a lot.
    Jacie

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Is this her first time setting and brooding?

4. cgjsmith

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I just got her this spring so I don't know. The other cochin who I got at the same time is being a wonderful mommy. Shes not a problem with me its with anything that is small. The only difference in the two is the bad cochin had an open air nest while the good mommy had a white box. Crystal

5. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I think MissPrissy is asking because I have heard sometimes that first time moms don't know what they are doing and think that the eggs/chicks are dead or going to die. From what I have heard they seem to get it right the next time around. Someone else, ie MissPrissy or Speckled, will probably chime in with more and better info.

6. cgjsmith

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Thats what I was thinking, I can't get her off the nest though I've moved the eggs, I've moved her, she keeps going right back. Do I need to lock her up somewhere else or should I put different eggs under her and let her try again? Crystal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by