1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin leg feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by magikchick, May 12, 2007.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Can you sex a cochin by the amount of leg feathers they have. At 3 weeks old two of my chicks have much more leg feathering then the other 3.

Marsha

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I have all cochins, but I don't know about leg feathers. I just wait till their combs start coming in@ 4-5 wks. If their combs start showing bright pink and they start showing on their waddles/wattles. (don't know the correct spelling) I have heard that you can tell by wing feathers. But I just had to be patient and wait for them to age a little. They grow soon enough, that's for sure. Mine are 10 wks, out of straight run of 25 chicks looks like I have 10 cockerals.

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I don't think so. Mine have leg feathers according to their place in the pecking order--the "royalty" have the most leg feathers and the lower castes have less. Not sure if this is because the higher-ups are pecking feathers out of the lower ones, or because the higher-ups are successfully blocking access to the feeder. There's plenty of room for all the chickens, but the higher-ups have been known to stomp on the lower ones when they're eating.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The feathers they have is genetics of the parents. You'll have to wait to see whoes male and who's female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by