COCHIN LIMPING WITH SORES ON FEET!! BUMBLE FOOT?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melovechickens, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Melovechickens

Melovechickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    My dominant hen has been picking on my little tiny hen and yesterday she wasn't limping and now she is!! I think she could've banged it on something trying to get away, but she can't put any pressure on her hurt leg. She literally hops. Her comb is also white because my dominant hen has been picking on her and it has flopped over a little. She's a Cochin and I don't know how to see the wound because of the feathers on her feet. We are going to clean their bottoms later (because they have really poopy butts) so I think we'll be able to see the cut or something better. I just hope she didn't have a slight fracture. Please help!!

2. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    [​IMG] I found that my Cochin has 1 large brown spot on the underside of her foot. Both feet actually. Her foot doesn't look swollen and we bathed her and she is sitting in the coop right now. We rubbed her feet and it wasn't dirt. They are basically perfect round circles that are the color of dirt. I'M REALLY AFRAID THAT SHE HAS BUMBLE FOOT!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! I'm 13 and my parents know as much as me on chickens and I need help!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. averkademay

averkademay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2013
  4. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    [​IMG]
    This is what both of her feet look like. I don't know why it's both feet and thank you very much!! Someone please respond quickly!!

5. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    I really don't want this to get worse and I read that you can soak the chicken's feet in Epsom salt and then you put honey on the early wound and then you spray vetericyn spray on the wound and then wrap it up in gauze. First of all I don't know how much Epsom salts per gallon or cup or something I need. Second I need help identifying if it is Bumble Foot. And third I need to know how often to do this treatment and if it works so if someone would help me that would be amazing and much appreciated!!

6. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    Is this a bad case of Bumble Foot?

7. averkademay

Dec 14, 2013
    Ya sorry to say, but that is definitely Bumblefoot! Bumblefoot is caused by a sharp object getting into the skin. It then gets infected. The body of the chicken will try to remove the object or infection, yet sometimes is unsuccessful. This will cause a deep hole in the pad of the foot. Inside the hole, there is a piece of crystalized puss. This is definitely very painful to step on for a chicken because it is like having an infected sliver in your foot. A cap or "scab" will form during the infection.

How long has she had this?

If not a long time, don't panic. It can take up to weeks for the infection to spread to the blood veins and kill the chicken.
    As a suggestion:

1st Separate her into a warm and quiet place with food and water, so that the other flock-mates won't bug her. Flock mates will peck her to death eventually because it is in their instinct to cull off sick or injured birds in the flock.

Has she been eating properly? If not add some treats like apple slices to keep her eating. You can give her apple slices if she is eating properly too. She will really love that :-D

2nd go to this website. http://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/
    It is a site that makes it simple to treat and no surgery needed.

If you want to try the soaking, vetericyn spray, and honey...that is fine, you have quite a bit of time to cure it. I have never heard of that method before though. XD I would suggest soaking once a day. Change gauze and Vetwrap everyday.

If the wound is yellow and looks like new clean cell tissue then that is a good sign. The major thing that I want to promote is that to completely cure the Bumblefoot, you need to clean the wound out (the puss can be graphic in rare cases) and get out the kernel of puss if it has formed in the wound.

If you are brave enough to cure it quickly and effectively, try a little surgery. I did it on my red rhode island a couple years ago. Sadly she passed away because she had the bumble for months and my surgery was a success for 3-4 of the bumps...the last one was infected for too long and she passed away. Also WARNING extremely graphic photos in the link. Also if you do choose to do the surgery, don't do the fry wall knife...use an X-acto knife. Also my surgery was not bloody at all because I didn't cut any fresh tissue...using a X-acto knife an tweezers helped a lot!

The measurements of the Epsom salt should be in one of the two links. For me, I suggest 1/2 cup of sat for 2 quarts of water. Make sure the water is hot/warm so the chicken doesn’t get cold and when its warm they tend to relax and enjoy it like a hot tub. :-D Just make sure its not scalding hot.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

8. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    Yeah I found that honey treatment for the early stages of Bumble Foot. Anyways... my Cochin, Prim, has a squishy belly. I don't know if that's normal so I'm asking is a squishy belly normal? It isn't super squishy, but I held my Golden Sex-Link and there was no squishiness. And she started LIMPING just yesterday. I have no idea when she started forming the Bumble Foot. Right now she is isolated and in our garage with pine shavings as bedding with 2 towels over the pine shavings so it doesn't get stuck in her foot. I have no idea how to do the surgery and I don't want to cut too far and I don't know what I'm looking for. She's only limping on 1 foot and the other one seems fine except for the giant dot in the middle of her foot. 1 of the threads that you sent me averkademay said that you can make like a square of pipe or whatever and have a hole in the middle for the Bumble Foot. I was wondering if this actually worked and if the infection actually left the foot and the body. I really don't want to put that on Prim and have it not work and her die. What's the most efficient way to get rid of Bumble Foot???? Thanks so much!!!

This is the website that I found that cure on: https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/Signs-Symptoms-And-Treatments-For-Bumblefoot-In-Chickens

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  9. averkademay

Dec 14, 2013
    Squishy belly? Do you mean her crop? Her bell is considered to be where your can feel the breast bone. So if it is squishy at the breast bone, then that is crazy weird. If you feel a squishy sack above the great bone (close to the base of the neck) that is called the crop. If the crop is squishy, that means she has been eating little and drinking more water. Try feeding herapples, lettuce, and other treats to encourage her to eat. (this will keep her weight up so she won’t starve)

At your local feed store you can buy her some electrolytes or put Gatorade in her water to boost her vitamins for better health.

Too me she looks like she has had it for for quite a while, but recently the infection has caused her to be in pain. Gently massage the pad of the foot. Do you feel a hard bump inside? That is the kernel. If it is all soft n’ squishy, then that is even better because the kernel hasn’t formed yet.

Good! You have her isolated. That is the most important part. :-D
    Well I really shouldn’t have said it was ‘surgery.’ It is really more like ‘clean out a wound.’
    The procedure that I did had no blood at all. I did not need to cut the tissue and little to no pain to the bird. The page that I suggested used a dry wall knife which was not very wise. Using a dry wall knife to open a wound will cause blood. Also they purposely cut the tissue. When I did the procedure for my bird, I did not have to cut the tissue, so no blood.

The main steps that I did was:
    After soaking the hens feet in epson salt water for 30 min. (this will soften the skin and sanitize it)
    1. have someone hold the chicken down (easier with two people)
    2. use a pair of tweezers and X-acto knife (if necessary) to “pop” off the “cap”
    3. after you pop off the cap, you will see a hole…kinda gross
    4. squeeze and massage the pad of the chickens foot to squeeze out the puss. (hate to say it, there might be some puss)
    5. if the kernel comes out with the puss then whoohoo! success!
    6. use a strong flashlight to make sure you didn’t miss any more of the infection
    7. use Neosporin straight into the hole (MAKE SURE it is NOT the kind that has pain relieving agents in it. That will kill the chicken)
    8. apply nonstick gause
    9. gentley apply Vetwrap around the leg and between the toes.
    10. put her back and your Done!
    11. change her bandages every day. Every time you do, gently massage the pad to see if more puss come out. If more does come out, start the surgery again starting at step 4. Same thing if the cap returns.

Also please go tot he graphic page for more info and to see if I missed something. It goes over a lot of information.

Even though she is limping on one foot, I suggest you do surgery on both just to get it over with.
    I would think that the square pad thing looks really painful to the bird. If is just applying pressure to the infection to push on the wound, the it may not be too. It looks like if would kind off cushion the birds foot. I will look into that, but to just get rid of the infection quick and effectively I do suggest the simple surgery.
    I looked at the website and that is perfect it summed up the steps above. I am 4-Her and I have done several speaking presentations, information boards, and immense research on this stuff because I was deeply saddened by the death of my first Red Rhode Island. So i will attach my projects to the page.

Also please excuse any wierd grammar of mine XD
    Its almost 9 pm over here and I have had a long day.[​IMG]
    I hope this helps

10. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    I did feel her crop and her belly. Yesterday her crop was really squishy! I don't really know what she did. She sat on her food for most of the time. My mom said that when she put the food in the cage that Prim started DEVOURING the food. Her belly is a little squishy. I haven't felt it today and her poop is runny. She hasn't laid any eggs in the past 3 days or so and I'm getting worried. I know she's scared because we've moved her 3 times because she was out in the garage and then we found a dog and he can't come in the house and she couldn't be out there or he would try and eat her so now she's up in the bedroom. My mom just moved her out to the coop and locked her in there so that the other chickens don't mess with her and so she might lay an egg. She said she'll move her back inside in an hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by