Cochin Lovers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by g&h farm, Feb 1, 2012.

1. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    [​IMG]Please let me know what you think of this girl then I will tell you more about her and how she came about. Im really liking her. Shes very tiny and beautiful.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    She's a Blue Silver Partridge (eb/eb; Bl/Bl; S/-) She's pretty!

3. g&h farm

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    So is her coloring correct? I honestly thought she my have been a cross with my easter eggers. I dont have any partridge. I have Blues, Blacks and I did have a Birchen for a short while.She would most likely have come from a Blue hen and a Black Roo if shes pure.

4. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I don't see any EE in her, though it's possible. Genetically, it's impossible for this color to be bred in any other way than that EXCEPT a spontaneous mutation (which is when an odd cacophony of genes appears randomly for no apparent reason, leaving you scratching you head in confusion!) I think that's the most likely thing. Her coloring is great! It's soft -- it's supposed to be soft, and the bird has good tpye for a pekin/cochin, so, yes she's a good little bird!

5. g&h farm

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    So for breeding purposes what color rooster would you breed her to?

6. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    The Black. Then breed her to the male offspring, and about a 1/4 of the grandchicks should be silver partridge, but whether the blue gene would 'land' on the partidges, your guess is as good as mine.

7. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    [​IMG] She is absolutely beautiful!!![​IMG] Love,Love Love her!!! But I have a question? [​IMG] I am just trying to learn since I have partridge bantams. She does not appear to have penciling like a traditional partridge does in the US, but I have seen this type of partridge on European Cochins. What is the difference in genetics between penciled partridge and this type partridge? Thanks.

8. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    'Partridge' is a confusing poultry term -- 'Partridge' as you are refering to (American Partridge) is Pencilled Red (eb/eb; Mh/Mh; Pg/Pg). It is a totally different color. English partridge -- True partridge, which this is similar to, is the wildtype chicken pattern (e+/e+). This Partidge, or Brown Breasted, is eb/eb. In this case, Blue dilution and Silver genes are present. Hope this helps!

9. g&h farm

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    Here is another hen out of the same hen[​IMG] but an Easter Egger Roo. Note the "chubby cheeks" as I like to call them.
    [​IMG]

10. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    When I see that, it becomes very likely that the roo is hetero for 2 EE common genes: Muffs, and peacomb. He will therefore produce some with muffs, some without, some with a peacomb, like this hen, and some without. However, the cochin in question, pure or not, is very good in type, so she definately is worthy of the title 'Cochin'.

Actually, the roo in question is the Salmon EE roo in the background in 3rd pic of the original post, isn't it? Breed him to the cochin. You'll get about 1/2 Cochin types like her, and 1/2 EE types, like him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by