1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anjbagley, Jan 27, 2010.

1. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    I was giving away some of my roosters because I am too whimpy to eat them myself and even though they were free the guy would not take my cochin roosters because he said that their meat was all dark and they were not good eating. I have never heard of anything like this and I know they are concidered a dual purpose bird. Can anyone shed light for me????

2. NorthCoastChick

NorthCoastChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    Minnesota Arrowhead
    I'm just planning to raise chickens and I've chosen cochins just because they are supposed to be good meat. In Japan they are a delicacy, from what I have read. Hope you get more replies so I can read them and maybe make a more well formed decision...

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I know silkies are all dark meat.

4. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    darker the meat the more flavor ppl dont no that nowadays cuz their so use to white chicken. anyone says i chicken tastes bad dont no their arse from a hole in the ground Any breed chicken can be good if it butcherd and then left setl for 2-3 days for the meat to losen up and cooked the right way

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I know a few people that talk as if they are an authority on every subject there is. I would consider the source....does this man know all about chickens????? Really everything???? It sounds funny to me (not haha funny). I think they should taste fine, if my opinion amounts to anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by