Cochin? Or Brahma? Which am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Manda0227, May 16, 2010.

1. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    I originally thought this lil chick was a Partridge Cochin. Kinda really hoped it would be! I really want something partridge! I got this chick out of assorted bantams at a feed store about 3 weeks ago. Which would make it about 3 weeks old! I asked the girl where they get there chicks from, to which she replied "Uh, I don't know, Mexico I think." I don't see why they would have to import chicks. I'm assuming its not a mix though. I could be wrong! I first thought it looked like a cochin, because I got a buff one at the same time. They look VERY much alike, except the buff has a single comb, and this one doesn't have anything. I'm thinking pea comb? I was reading about Dark Brahmas, and I read they don't have a lot of feet feathers.. This one has quite a bit! Anyways. Here's the pictures! Let me know what you guys think!

Side shot!
    [​IMG]

Comb, or lack thereof!
    [​IMG]

Feathered feet!
    [​IMG]

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    brahma. it would have a single comb if it was a cochin.

3. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    They probably came from Privett Hatchery in NEW Mexico. I dont think it's a cochin, by now it would be showing at least some little bit of a single comb. I have seen some Brahmas with good foot feathering though.

4. La Unica Farms

La Unica Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    backswamp NC
    I hatched out several bantam cochin chicks last year that didn't have combs just like this chick. They were all off of my Frizzle Cochin crossed with smooth hens. I just assumed it was caused by the frizzle gene and that they were hens. I didn't really put that much thought into it to be honest with you. We had them until they were about three months old and they never did develope a comb. Strange now that I think back on it. I wonder if they ever did get a cromb.

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I would say they came from Privett in New Mexico, which is where mine came from and they are Brahmas, not cochins. As said above, Cochins would have a start of a single comb by now, which mine do. My brahmas have combs that look just like that. Also, the feathering on the feet and legs would be much, much more if they were cochins.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. If it were a cochin, it would have more complete leg feathering - all the way around the leg vs. just on the outside. That's a dark brahma and while it's a little bit early to tell, I'm going with pullet. Dark brahmas are the only one of the three common colors found in the US - dark, buff and lights - where the cockerels feather out completely different from the pullets.
    My dark brahmas have the heaviest foot feathering of all my brahmas. So heavy in fact that they used to trip over it when they were chicks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  7. MikeS(erama)

MikeS(erama) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Massachussetts
    Oops..

8. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Hah.. the above post was me posting under my fiance's name by accident... ANWAYSSS.. lol as I WAS saying..

Cool! Thanks for all the input! That'd be really great if she is indeed a she! The roo's in the bunch (around the same age, give or take a week) are all starting to REALLY show their combs more than others. There are quite a few that almost overnight they shot out a bright pink comb! This one has nothing, and its yellow, and I love the look of dark brahmas! Also, not to mention- this one is particularly very sweet!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Keep in mind that the above picture is of a dark brahma roo.

Here's a pair, roo on the left, hen on the right. They were 5 weeks old in these pics:

[​IMG]

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Dark Brahma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by