1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin or Easter egger hatcheries in Pa. ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by pambaum, Feb 8, 2012.

1. pambaum

pambaum Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    Kempton Pa.
    I would really like to add bantam cochins, standard Easter Eggers or Auracaunas and also Brahmas to my backyard flock. Does anyone know of anywhere in Pa or New Jersey for these breeds? I only want 2 of each at most...Thanks

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I have several of the breeds you want. Your order must total 12 unless you pick them up. Check our website "horstmanspoultry.com"

2 people like this.
  3. JSW99

JSW99 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Well, first "Easter Eggers" are any breed that lays blue or green eggs (a common misconception that Easter Eggers are Ameraucanas). What breed are you referering to (i'm assuming Ameraucanas)? Also, I think your best bet would be just to simply check your local feed stores (Tractor Supply, Farm and Fleet, etc.) and see if they ever sell chicks. It's likely that they do because thats where I bought my chicks. Other than that, just give your local poultry farms a ring and see if they would be willing to sell you any. Oh, also, you could mail-order chicks from Meyers Hatchery. The reason I say that is because they have a min. of 3 chicks (instead of the usual min. of 25 chicks), offer a great selection of breeds, and don't require you to purchase a rooster while ordering.

Link to Meyer Hatchery Website: http://www.meyerhatchery.com/

P.S. If you don't think mail ordering chicks is safe, don't worry, they add heat packs and all sorts of stuff to keep them warm (although, the price for shipping is quite high).

4. chickobsessed

chickobsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Jackson, NJ

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Check your local feed store this spring. Sometimes they will add on an order for your specifics.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    http://www.hoffmanhatchery.com/ They have all the breeds you want and only live 60 miles from you. Downfall is they have a 15 chick minimum, maybe you could buy some extras( EEs always sell) or they could make a exception on the grounds that you live so close.

7. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    I go to kempton for my feed every week. Can't believe you can not find these birds locally. PM me and I will set you in the right direction.

8. dmttomb

dmttomb New Egg

Apr 23, 2013
    I know this is an old post, but I figured I would tell you about a local (Philly - South Jersey) place for Cochins. I found a lady in Cookstown who has a great variety of Cochins and otehr "show" birds. You can find her on Facebook by searching for evieshotchicks. I got 5 (two Golden Cochins and three Light Brahma hens. I had a friend run over after seeing mine and he got three Cochins.

9. BevyCrockr

BevyCrockr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Hookstown, Pennsylvania
    Horstmans Poultry has a 12 min. not 15.

10. AnRamire

AnRamire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    Pocono PA

Last edited: May 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by