cochin or pekin

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AtRendeAcres, Sep 20, 2007.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have Bantam Cochins or I thought I did!

The more I research them the more confused I get [​IMG]

Are they Bantam Cochin or Pekins?

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Cochins is the American way to say it. Pekin is the other country way to say it,lol. Not sure what country, so that's all I can say. [​IMG]

3. chicka_dee

chicka_dee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Cochins is the American way to say it. Pekin is the other country way to say it,lol. Not sure what country

[​IMG] Bantam Cochin is the way Americans say it

Pekins is the way the rest of the world says it (well at least UK, Australia, and Europe... don't know about Asia or Africa) [​IMG]

I think its just because you guys like to feel special [​IMG]

In America 'Bantam Cochins' are considered miniatures of Cochins (lol who'd have thought!), however the rest of the world (that I know of) considers 'Pekins' as a different breed from the standard size Cochin. We call it a 'true' bantam, i.e. a bantam that has no large counterpart

I have heard that a bantam cochin and a pekin are actually different breeds... something to do with their carriage (a pekin is more heads down bum up than a bantam cochin) but there is a bit of debate about that. google image it and see what you think. I can see the difference but it may just be that American show standards differ from UK/Australia thus a different body shape is more desirable and popular. Someone more knowledgeable might help you out there but generally they are classified as one and the same.

It doesn't really matter though does it. They are sweet little things... and you should see my 6 week old cockerel charge at the Indian Minor birds and pigeons!!! I wouldn't want to be on his bad side, I tell you!!!!

Hayley​

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

And I thought Pekins were only ducks!!

5. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Bantam Cochin is the way Americans say it

Ehh, I dont care much between bantams and standards so I dont bug to type it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  6. chicka_dee

chicka_dee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    hehe we all knew what you meant!!! I was just laughing at the 'other country' bit! America IS the other country [​IMG]

but I suppose its all relative to where you live, isn't it?

oh well i hope we sorted it out for you Rchicks

good luck!

(by the way, out of interest does it have the 'bum up' pekin look, or the 'head up' bantam cochin look.... i will get to the bottom of this... EVENTUALLY!!!!!)

hayley

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Thanks guys being I am here we'll just stick to Bantam Cochin!

I think they are sweet what ever they are called [​IMG]

8. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    hehe we all knew what you meant!!! I was just laughing at the 'other country' bit! America IS the other country

LOL. It definitely depends on where you live! America is my country,lol. So Cochins is what I call em! [​IMG]

9. Egg_92

Egg_92 New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    NSW,Australia
    Just a quick note:)...Pekins in Austrlaia run off a diffrent standard to a Bantam cochin...there is a breeder in NSW AU (i'm sure there's more than one!) who is said to be creating a cochin bantam,as chicka_dee has said their their carriage is diffrent etc

K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by