cochin or silkie chick

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KristyAnn, Dec 17, 2013.

1. KristyAnn

KristyAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    [​IMG]

Just got this one today and not sure what she is or how old. Just told it was an assorted bantam by the sign. I tried counting the toes but they're too covered in filth from the place I gottem from to tel how many toes also being the toes are so tiny I'm afraid to break them. Any one ?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is your chick sleeping more than the other chicks? Is it lethargic and won't eat or drink much? Any diarrhea or bloody poo? Staying with feathers fluffed up as if cold?

If it is totally normal in behavior and the camera just caught it sleeping then please forgive and nothing to worry about at all.

I believe it could be a cochin. It does not look like a silkie chick to me.

3. KristyAnn

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    When I picked it, it was full of energy and life and I took this right before I got the heat lamp on at home, so yes It could defiantly be it's cold here. It was acting a bit not hungry and such. I did give it some electrolyte/probiotic water and so far it's picked up a little. No diarrhea. Thanks for calling on it though.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Oh good! If you ever notice the signs I mentioned in a chick 8 weeks of age or under, it may be coccidiosis. (You may already know this but just mentioning in case you need this info. Treatment is available.)

5. KristyAnn

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    Oh okay. I asked for a medicated powder for baby chicks with that in mind and they gave me this stuff Tetracycline Hydrochloride. Sound like some tough stuff, so I am not so sure this little one can handle that stuff. Any input?

6. ChickensAreSweet

Tetracycline is an antibiotic. I wouldn't give it without a reason.

However, I would feed medicated chick starter unless you are organic. The medicated chick starter will have a coccidiostat in it (can be amprolium or another medication).

If you are organic, I'd just keep an eye on the little one. I feed organic and keep a bottle of Corid around just in case.

7. KristyAnn

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    Corid. Got it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by