Cochin owners what do you think? Gender question.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sandy sea, Sep 28, 2008.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I submitted pictures of my two 8.5 week old bantam cochins yesterday. I got mixed responses for the genders. What do you think? Pictures are on my last post, What Gender?? (Pictures) by Sandy Sea . Thanks

2. chikkinlittlesc

chikkinlittlesc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    South Carolina
    They look like cockerals to me. The pullets usually don't have distictive combs and wattles at that age.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see a picture. My 4 month old bantam cochin (girl) does not show much of a change in comb, no wattles at all. Yet the roo that was the same age was showing a red wattle/comb and trying to crow. The young fella I have now, approx 2 months old is red comb/wattle and DOOOOO(ing) in the morning over our cheerios! lol. He is still in the house- I just obtained him and a sibling- lol. Good luck and enjoy the little love bugs!

4. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Frizzle looks like a cockerel, and the other a pullet. I am guessing a pair.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I guessed both where roos.

6. bantamgal

bantamgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    The frizzles a boy,,,,I am not sure about the other one

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have cochin/frizzles that are the exact age. My pullet still has no red, no wattles, and nary a comb. I say 2 definite roos. My dominant roo it the only one that is super red, the others are just not as bright red, although still red. Pretty birds [​IMG]

Krista

edited to say that I would still hold on to them for a few more weeks just in case [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by