cochin people - advice/opinion please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LilQtBear, Nov 6, 2011.

1. LilQtBear

LilQtBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    So I have a bantam black cochin hen ~ currently a foster mom at just 6 months of age, also I have a blue standard cochin I recently got and a "giant barred" cochin.

I can't decide if I should keep the standard or the bantam... and I assume I shouldn't breed the two...also I would like crituqe
    Of the roo's do they even meet a standard? I don't believe the barred does. I love the broody hen but prefer bigger eggs...and figure a bigger, "standard" size could foster more eggs/chicks. But I don't see a lot of people speaking of the standard cochins.
    What do you think....standard or bantam?
    Also can I breed the standard to the bantam?

Blue cochin ~ no name (if you want to give me ideas that would be great) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred cochin *Big Daddy*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Foster mom *momma*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    I say your blue looks good I can't see if he has vulture hocks but if not he looks good. I know nothing about the barred or the bantam. But the blue does look good. I have standards. Take a look on the cochin thread back a page or so I have a few of mine posted

3. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:May I ask what vulture hocks are? I would like to see if he does or not

4. BBrock

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    I don't see many LF either they eat more and take more room that may be why. Vulture hocks are where the hock feathers point backwards insted of lay down nice and neat. Google it and get a pic. I don't think he does just make sure

5. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    I went to the cochin thread and found your birds...very nice....the one thing I do notice is my bantam cochins tail is more of a bump then the LF cochin...but like I said I do prefer the larger eggs and stuff... I just can't decide...I assume most personalities are same on the different sizes. I do like the broodyness....

6. BBrock

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    Yes both LF and bantams should have rounded tails but the bantams are even more rounded. My pullets haven't got that yet but they will come with time. I love mine just all in preference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by