Cochin Pullet and Cockerel...what color is this, or did I get a mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by verycherry, Jul 18, 2008.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I purchased these chicks on 5-01-08 at our local farm supply store, so they're a little over 11 weeks old. I'd been wanting Cochins or Brahmas but hadn't found any locally, so when I saw their little feathered legs, I grabed 'em!

I believe they're Cochins, or at least mostly Cochin, and after a few weeks thought they were probably going to have the Partridge coloration, but they're not quite like the Partridge Cochins I found online, so now I'm not sure what I have.

Do you think they're a mix of two colors, or a mix of breeds altogether? Whatever they are, I just love the colors, especially on the male. He's getting more colors everyday: blues, purples, teal green. I can't wait to see what he looks like as a mature rooster.

The pullet...
    [​IMG]

The cockerel...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    They're gorgeous. I don't know what they are sorry...I wish I did.

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Your Pullet is a Partridge.

The cockeral may be as well but they normally have more red on their necks and across their backs. He may get more of the coloring when he gets older. I know my Splash cockeral is still getting different colors on him he is now 4 1/2 months old.

Here is a link that has pictures of the Partridge colored cochins.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/partridgecochinstd.html

Yours are both are very pretty!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  4. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Oh, that one does look a lot like mine. The Partridge Cochin I found online were soooo much lighter in color, and had thinner lines in the pattern. Thank you! Maybe those were show quality or something?

I suppose the cockerel is a partridge too since they both looked the same at a few days old.

I definately want more of these, or another color. They're so sweet natured. Thanks for the link to that site. I bet they don't have any left this time of year, but maybe by next year...hopefully.

5. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I have to agree with you on the coloring of them. Yours have great coloring they are suposse to be dark like that.

I like I said my Splash Cochin is still getting in colors. He now is getting some nice coloring on his wings. Every few weeks he changes on his coloring in areas [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  6. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Oh, he is just gorgeous! I think I'll add splash to my list too. I guess you can't breed the two colors together though, but it would be nice just to have such a pretty pullet around.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    verycherry, you cochins are partridge.

8. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Thank you LilPeeps. Your chickens in your album are beautiful! I have two Silkies also, a white and a red. They're such a sweet breed.

9. cdross

cdross Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    both are definately partridges. I have both roosters and pullets. they sure are pretty aren't they.

10. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Yes, they are. I'm afraid this will turn into an addiction!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by