Cochin pullet having respiratory problem, urgent help needed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rh18, Oct 17, 2013.

1. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    My buff cochin pullet has got some respiratory problem. She is sneezing, having a little rattling sound while breathing and has a little watery nasal discharge. She is breathing heavy and has become lethargic, reduced eating and drinking since yesterday, walking very little and sleeping most of the time.
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    She is a buff cochin pullet about 4 months old (I'm not sure about age) and become lighter in weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She is breathing heavy, sneezing and lethargic.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    About 4 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I don't have any idea.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She was eating normal feed and water. But she is eating little now.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Her poop is normal now. She had some abnormal poops yesterday.

[​IMG]
    (her poops yesterday)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I'm giving tylosin in her water.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird till you can get to a vet?
    I want to do anything I can do for her immediately. I can't go to a vet until the day after tomorrow.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Her picture taken right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She has sand as bedding.

I've separated her from other birds. I need immediate help as her condition is not right [​IMG]. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She really needs to drink the Tylan water to get enough medication. I would suggest if she is not drinking to either tube feed her the medicine, or get Tylan 50 injectable, and give her 1 ml daily as a shot into her breast for 3-5 days. Putting some medicated water over her chicken feed into a paste make get more into her.

3. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I'll try to get the injection tomorrow. Anything I could do right now? as a first aid. Something to recover her weakness?

4. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    She is better in the mornings than nights. Anybody have any idea what kind of respiratory disease this is?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since she dosesn't have the big swollen puss-filled eyes it may be mycoplasma or infectious bronchitis, but be aware that many chicken diseases come in 2's. For example when necropsies are done there may be cocci with mycoplasma, and sometimes there are 2 respiratory bug at the same time. No one can diagnose a disease without testing for sure. All respiratory diseases get worse at night, just like when you get a cold virus. Here is a list of common diseases including mycoplasma G. infectious bronchitis, and coryza--read some and see if any fit--here is the link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Well right now she is sneezing more than before.... And whenever she sneezes, it helps her breathe better.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Things like infectious bronchitis may take 6 weeks to get better. Hopefully the Tylan will keep her from getting sicker. I just hope she doesn't have coccidiosis, too. Do any of your others have diarrhea. Sometimes with coccidia they will have blood in the droppings, but not always. If she stays lethargic after the Tylan I might think about treating her for worms or coccidiosis with Corid. Safeguard liquid goat wormer is a good wormer. The symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, ruffled feathers, lying puffed up, poor appetite, and diarrhea (sometimes bloody.)

8. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Well her poop is sometimes normal and usually cecal....

9. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    She really feels normal at day time. She eats a bit and drinks very less... It freaks me out for dehydration.... Dont wanna lose her :(

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cecal poop is only every 9th or 10th bowel movement--the rest should be a little more solid. Like I said before, things like IB get worse at night, and then in the daytime they will forage and act more normal except for the chirping sneeze. Are you giving the injections? Probiotics in her water may help to get her bowel back in order, since she is on antibiotics. Also consider the worming advice, and think about coccidiosis if the diarrhea gets worse. Corid (amprollium) is safe to give, and is life saving if coccidia is present.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by