1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Historienne, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Historienne

Historienne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    Hi everyone! I ordered sexed Cochins from a hatchery that are now 8 weeks old. We had one that we suspected early on was a roo, but within the last week we have several more that are getting very pink in the comb, and about 5 that are still completely yellow. I'm now getting extremely nervous that we have a lot of roos. I know that sexing isn't failsafe but 1/3 of the order being roos seems crazy-high! Hopefully I'm just seeing things, so I thought I'd turn it over to you helpful folks.

Here's Freckles, who got very red early:
    [​IMG]

Mixed shot, but the blueish gray one closes to the fence and the white one in the back left are starting to go pink...

[​IMG]

Then this morning I noticed that Henrietta, the buff, was looking way more pink than our largest gal, Becky the blue:

[​IMG]

Can there be that much variation in color, or do I have a rainbow of roos? (noooooo) Any opinions?

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

So freckles looks like a possible roo, but you know it could turn out to be a hen. I had one lavender cochin that had a comb just like that i thought for sure was a roo but grew up to be a hen! The rest of them look like they are all females.

3. Historienne

Historienne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    Thanks! Fingers crossed you are right! Freckles is already enormous and it wouldn't be terrible if he was an (only) roo, but they all change so much everyday it's not hard to convince myself that I must have ended up with a box full of males...

4. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Your welcome. Yes i know exactly how you feel. Id suggest in a couple weeks posting another picture by then if its a female it will look the same, male it will look more red and it will be bigger. Try putting your finger in front of its beak and going back and forth. If its a feamle it will cower if its a male it will peck back and stand up to your finger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by