Cochin Quandary

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by woolymama, Sep 14, 2009.

1. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    [​IMG]

My blue Cochin "pullet" Clementine is 24 weeks old and has never showed signs of being anything other than a girl. Until now. Suddenly it seems she's all red around the eyes and her comb and wattles seem larger and redder, too. I know some Cochin hens have fairly large combs and wattles compared to other breeds, but take a look. Do I have another roo here?

2. woolymama

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Sorry this pic isn't all that big.

3. woolymama

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Let's try this pic again:
    [​IMG]

Hope that's better.

4. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    The feather sure look like hen to me I have a cochin that has pretty big wattles and comb No crowing yet thats a good sign [​IMG]

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Are you SURE all of those birds are 24 weeks?

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If that's a hen then I better rethink my cochin pen!

7. woolymama

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Most of my birds are 24 weeks - the little Amercaucana there is a bit younger than the others. I got them all from the same lady and I know for certain this Cochin is that age. Nobody has started laying yet, and the one "confirmed" roo I have (also 24 weeks) is a Wyandotte - he's smaller than this girl/boy, but he has been crowing for over a month now. This cochin? Not a peep. But she/he is HUGE.

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- cochins are slow to develop. I have seen this even more so in the standards. I have banty cochin roos that have been crowing for a month. The standards that are the same age- not a peep. They do "play fight" quite a bit though. The roos always seem a bit more curious too. They give me that "whatcha doin?" look every time I'm near them. The hens are more like "let me out!" or ""whatcha got?" [​IMG]

BTW- I just noticed how your cochin is dark on the top half, not just the neck. This is usually how the blue roos feather in.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  9. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    It's a Pullet getting ready to lay. The girls get super chrimson red right before they lay. I have 7 cochins.

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    It's a Pullet getting ready to lay. The girls get super chrimson red right before they lay. I have 7 cochins.

Your cochins lay at 4 months? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by