Cochin Questions

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
My standard blue cochins that I bought on Saturday!!
The frizzle is a rooster, the normal is a hen. They are about 4 months old.
I can't wait to show them this year!!

2076wyq.jpg

14cwal3.jpg

254vl9z.jpg

This was the tag on the cage
nye9ub.jpg

I'm wondering if the seller was telling the truth on the frizzle being rare or not.
I live in the Midwest, so I that part of why they might be considered rare

They are show quality cochins' and I want to make sure they are receiving the proper dietary needs. And also to ensure proper feather quality

I am wondering what feed I should give them.
My other birds get whole corn and oats, but they free range all day while it's light out. So I can't feed that to the Cochins.

I've heard and read that need some extra care for showing, and keeping them healthy in general.
I'm wondering what other peoples experience are with them.
And what other kind if extra care they need.

The temperature varies from as cold as -60F and as a high as 100F

Where are you that it goes from -60 to 100? It goes from -20 to 110 here.

Frizzles aren't that rare. They aren't a breed but a genetic anomaly that causes the offspring feathers to curl outward. A frizzle can come in any breed.
I haven't been to enough shows to know if there is a category for frizzle anything.
The color looks good.
The issue with raising Cochins for show is the feathered legs and feet. Depending on your climate, you may need to keep any show birds housed as mud and snow are a problem. Do you have the facilities for that?

Here's another point I'd like to make. I haven't shown birds and have only been to a handful of shows. So, I may not know what I'm talking about and please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I thought showing birds was something you do when you've bred and selected for SOP, then raised those birds that are your best for optimal condition.
To buy adult birds that are supposedly show quality and present them as your own work seems a bit like plagiarism. Presenting someone else's work as your own.

To answer your question@ChickenCanoe I live in North Dakota.
I wasn't asking if *frizzles were rather, but rather, are they rare in standard sized cochins'.
I would use these birds for 4H, then hatch chicks from them, and next year and hopefully go to state with the chicks

Back
Top Bottom