1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cochin questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by internationalfarmer, Jul 9, 2008.

1. internationalfarmer

internationalfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2007
    hagerstown,maryland
    hoping to get some in august or next year. hoping you could tell me about the breed itself.

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hagerstown!!! Im in Martinsburg. Howdy do! Usually everyones so far from me, that was kind of a shock. Well cochins are awesome and perfect for our chilly winters. Those extra feathers everywhere come in handy.

Well, I'm sure you already know how docile they are...lapsitters extraodinaire...but they're the best mamas and the roos are super gentle. Mine crowds me all the time. I have a trio and when they see me come into the garden, they take off running... or waddling:) after me. They eat bugs out of my hands and even when my 18 mo. old son pulls on Roscoe's tail feathers, he just crowds him and gives him a funny little chase. They love to be around people. Wherever I am, they are not far.

Here's my babies (I have the bantam variety) I got them from a fabulous breeder, Tom Roebuck out of Unionville, VA. (totally worth the trip -He's got champion standards, bantams and giants) Here's a link to his webiste. http://gff.cochinsrule.com/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Those are beautiful MSbear, and I love the columbian pattern

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Cochins are brave birds around other birds and animals but sweet to people. They supposedly are good broodies but I havent noticed that. When they molt it is almost best to give them a bath after a while because some of their old feathers will get stuck in their new feathers.

5. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    What a great site for housing photos! I can't imagine the time it takes to fill all those food and water dishes though!

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Thanx, Tiki!! Good insight too. I guess I'll know all about it once I see them molt.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] yw

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have Cochins in the bantam and standard size. I love them all. They get more dirty than my other birds because they don't hold back when playing in the rain or mud. But it never slows them down.
    I have 4 roos and 3 hens in just one flock that free ranges and they do so well together! The roos think they are lap dogs and hop right up in the lounge chair with us. The hens are so curious and sweet.
    Mine have been good broodies and even though the bantams were cage raised before I got them as adults they took to free ranging with out any problem.
    My 3 hens in with the 4 roos, well, they each lay an egg a day so you can see that they don't stress over all that manliness around them! They always go back to their coop to lay, too.
    Though I must say, I think my bantams have more personality than the standard ones.
    I have blue, white, Partridge and black so far but plan to mix some colors in the future to what cool patterns I'll get.
    Good luck with yours![​IMG]

9. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    After reading your articles on the Cochins. I think I may be interested in getting some. I would probably prefer the Standard size. Are the ones in the pictures standard?

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have bantam and standards. They are funny birds. The little girl is the boss of the entire coop. I have a standard that is friends with a silkie who is on the bottom of the pecking order. The cochin is the silkie's body guard! It's so cute. They have great little personalities and they lay pretty well. The standards have never gone broody but the bantam is a natural mother.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by