Cochin roo color question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by annabananaandfamily, Oct 12, 2011.

1. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    This is my very handsome boy, Hawk (or as I like to call him, the Hawkinator). I am just not sure what color he is and would love to know so that I sound like I know what I am talking about.

(I am attempting to add a picture, which I almost always manage to mess up, so please be patient [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

2. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    I would have to say red...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    hahaha! I have always called him red, but when I got my grey cochin and called her grey someone told me she is called blue... then I started reading about all the other colors and started thinking I was calling it the wrong thing!

Now, another question for the geneticists out there. What do you get when you cross a red roo with a blue hen???
    (sounds like the start of a joke, doesnt it?)

4. Quote:Him?

5. Quote:Him?

No offense but, he doesn't look very much like a Cochin, maybe a cross or a hatchery Cochin. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. annabananaandfamily

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    Oh yes, hes def hatchery cochin (no offense taken at all!) and I by no means plan to show or anything of the sort. But hes a big bird and good with his ladies and I am thinking that next year I may hatch out some of his babies just to augment my own flock and I was currious what colors to expect.

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    He looks like a color cross. Maybe you could call him black tailed red. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by