Cochin roo leaking red on shoulders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by melissa508, Sep 20, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I have standard cochins, the breeder only had cochins in black, splash & blue. One of the roos I hatched is maturing & some leaky red on both shoulders (4-5 spots on each side in a symetrical pattern) is starting to come in.
    I never was one to do the splash/blue/black breeding ..i like black x black & blue x splash..so i have no idea where the red is coming from & what kind of problem its going to cause ??

The others i hatched from that breeder are blue & black..and they have no leaky colors

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    How old is this roo? And is he blue?
    I have seen some older blue roosters that develop a rusty color on their shoulders when they are a few years old.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think this just tells you that the lines do carry red. At this point they have enough color modifiers to cover the red and it does not show.

Is this a splash cockerel?

If you do any crosses to other lines, I would imagine you will find some leakage again. If you are trying to breed to standard and quality birds, just keep the best for breeding.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    might have partridge in there some where..

Chris

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    I was told by an old breeder... those kind of roo is the best one you can use to breed black pullets...

don't know how much truth in it..

6. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I forgot to mention that the roo is black & he wuz born may 21st, so hes about 17 weeks old.
    The hen from the same breeder is solid black..no problems & same with the blues..perfect.

I wasnt expecting any funny off colors like that..but ive never played around with the blue/black/splash mixed together very much..so i dont know what else I can expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by